Chapter 10

Chapter 10:

Jesse was going on about something as soon as we pulled off. He'd mentioned something about a little hot dog place he knows where we can get good food for cheap. Before I knew it we were across the street from U.S. Cellular field, the home of the White Sox. Jesse was still talking when I interrupted him.

“You know you need to take me back to school right?” I said raising a brow. “We lost Paul and Carson. We should head back.”

“What about your hot dog?” He frowned. I grimaced.

“I don't want a hot dog,” I told him with an eye roll. “I don't even know why I got in this car with you.” I was being honest. I'd gotten so afraid and scared back there I panicked by getting into the car with a guy who was this close to raping me.

“Can we just talk, then?” he pleaded with his eyes.

“You've been talking this entire time,” I exasperated. He groaned and then hit his wheel. It reminded me of Dahlia, but I flinched.

“Dammit Nova,” he balled up his hands before turning in his seat to give me his undivided attention. I gulped at the hardness of his pale green eyes. “What happened happened and I'm sorry, okay? I thought that was what you wanted!”

“When a girl says stop you stop,” I insisted. “No questions asked.”

“You were so nervous all the time I just...” he trailed off.

“So you were going to ignore me!” I yelled and the car shook. He held on to the edge of his door for support. “I should have let Paul rip you apart.”

“Let Paul do what?” he asked angrily. “There's no way Montgomery could stand a chance against me.”

I laughed a dry laugh. “Paul would have kicked your ass to California and back.”

“I don't want to argue with you,” he sighed and glared at his hands. “I just want to know you don't hate me.”

“Well I don't hate you,” I crossed my arms. “Now can you drive me back to school. Please?”

“Fine,” he grumbled and started taking off his jacket. “Just let me put on my sweater.” He reached to the backseat to grab a dark grey hoodie and motioned to put it on before I stopped him.

“Wait,” I furrowed my brows and leaned in closer to him. His shirt had exposed his stomach and I wanted to get a better look at something I saw. “What was that?”

“Nothing,” he insisted and swiftly threw on the hoodie. “Let's go.”

“Jesse,” I said.

“No, Nova,” he jerked away from my touch.

“Okay but it just looks like—” I cut myself off when I lifted his shirt up myself. In my mind I pictured a knife plunged there, twisting, there was a person laughing. I gasped and fell back into my seat.

“What, what is it?” Jesse shook my shoulders.

“Someone stabbed you,” I placed both hands on my face to try to reason things out. “Navy Pier. Did—did you get stabbed at Navy Pier?”

There was a moment of silence before Jesse grinned wildly. “You're a weird chick. And no, I didn't get stabbed at Navy Pier. Who would stab me?”

My hands trembled as I slowly set them into my lap. “Nobody.”

Just there was a knock on my window and I screamed when my eyes connected with Paul's hazel ones. Behind him stood Carson, and behind Carson stood Fane.