Chapter 23

Chapter 23:

Paul had informed me after the meeting with the archangels that those rules Maria had told me about were put in place for changelings only. For regular angels they had plenty of time and went to actual school so they didn't need advisors. 

My mother, Anabel, asked to have a few words with Jocelyn. "If the Council would be so kind," she said. I was awed by the blatant authority she seemed to hold here. She was so confident and I wanted to be like her a little when I came of age. Paul told me we'd have to head back home to school before we celebrated with the entire family. Daniel reluctantly let us leave and gave me a kiss on the forehead, telling me that he was so proud and thankful to have me as a daughter. 

"You seem happy," Paul grinned as we strolled into school. Surprisingly it was only lunch time and I had two periods to complete after this. 

"I'm relieved," I corrected, snatching back my sunglasses and putting them in my book bag before throwing it into my locker. I slammed it and followed him to the cafeteria. Drew saw me and held up his hands in frustration. I laughed slightly and slid into my seat right next to my best friend. 

"What the hell, Nova?" he asked. 

"Yea, Drew was going insane without you," Carson rolled his eyes. I lightly punched my other best friend in the arm. Carson has a glint in his eyes and smiled at me knowingly, though, as if he knew what I'd chosen. A blush made its way to my cheeks. 

"And with Paul?" Drew jabbed his thumb  in my guardian's direction. 

"Excuse me?" Paul glared from across the table. Holly was right beside him, frowning at all of us. 

"We don't like you," Drew said and shrugged. "I'm surprised Nova's been as nice to you as she has been lately."

"She's been nice?" Paul's eyes bulged and I kicked him in the shin. He groaned audibly and I smiled sweetly. 

"He's not so bad," I told Drew. He scoffed and starting eating his sandwich. 

We talked about miscellaneous things at lunch and before I knew it I was off to history. I walked to the back of the classroom to sit next to Fane only to have Paul stop me halfway there. His hand held onto my arm and I peered up at him. Why did he have to torture me like this?

"You get your advisor on the first of January," he said. I nodded and started pulling away, only to have him hold me tighter. He forced me to look him in the eyes and I stopped breathing altogether. He seemed to frown a little bit as his eyes furrowed and he leaned in a little closer. 

"What?" I whispered. 

It took him a moment, but he finally answered.

"Nothing." He blinked and pulled away suddenly, going to sit next to Holly. 

When I got to Fane he was smirking at me and I stood there awkwardly. 

"What?" I barked when he didn't say anything. 

"Arch?" he questioned and I blushed without even knowing why. 

"Yes, and?" I took my sit and opened my binder. 

"I just find it off you chose Arch when you could have chosen guardian to be closer to the love of your life," he said. 

"If I'd chosen guardian," I began, starting to explain the plan Paul and I had devised. It was mid sentence that I realized what he said. "Love of my life?"

I stammered, choking on my spit. 

"You know," Fane pointed in Paul's direction and I slapped his hand down quickly. "Don't be shy, Nova."