Chapter 22

Chapter 22:

When I got to school I was rubbing my back. Or trying to, anyway. It hurt like a bitch and when Paul saw me he flicked my glasses. 

"Sunglasses, really?" he mocked. 

"Have you seen my eyes?" I replied in the same tone. "They're ridiculous."

"They're not ugly," he furrowed his brows, looking confused. 

"And they're sure as hell not normal," I quipped. "My back hurts a lot, by the way. Can you do something about that?"

"You might black out again," he rubbed my back lightly. I was thankful for his touch. He leaned down and started whispering in my ear. "Go to the bathroom as soon as first period starts. Don't worry about being marked absent."

"Why?" I whispered back and then said, "Why are we whispering?"

"Yea, why are you guys whispering?" Carson asked quite loudly as he approached us. He pointed to his ear when he noticed my look. "It's called super angel hearing, Super Nova."

"Don't use the word super twice in a sentence," I grumbled, still not liking the nickname. 

"Is that anyway to talk to someone who's covering for you all day?" Carson lifted a brow. I stopped talking and simply let him and Paul lead me to first period. 

"Try not to pass out," Paul winked and pushed me slightly into my classroom. I groaned a little and took a seat next to Drew and Fane.

"It's like Dahlia fell off the grid," Drew said to me. I jerked at the name. "Have you spoken to her? Tell me you've spoken to her."

"Um," I scratched my head. "No."

"She hasn't been at school all week," he informed me. "You've barely been here yourself. Why're you ditching so much lately? And what the hell is up with those glasses?"

Fane nodded, wondering why I had them on. I'd tell him later. 

"Taking a walk on the dangerous side?" I said unconvincingly. He only gave me a stern look. I folded my arms and tried to focus on anything other than the pain. Drew made more fuss about Dahlia's phone going straight to voicemail. He mentioned that he knew she was bad, but he was worried she was in some serious trouble. 

Hell yeah, Drew, she'd have to face the wrath of God and the Council in heaven. 

But I couldn't say anything and it was silently breaking my heart. After the bell rang, though, I went to over to my English teacher begging him to allow me to go to the restroom. He begrudgingly obliged, probably wondering why I had on the stupid glasses, and I all but ran down the hallway. Paul was waiting outside the ladies room and he looked at his watch lazily. 

"Let's go," he took my hand and led me out of school. They should honestly get an alarm system or something. He did a double take when he noticed something about my appearance. He snatched the sunglasses off completely and then took my hair out of the ponytail.

"What the heck!" I slapped him away and moved to put my hair back up. 

"Keep it down," he ordered. "You're a lot more inviting when it's down. And your eyes aren't that big of deal. I'm sure of one your parents have had the same problem, or know someone who did. It's rare but perfectly normal in the angel world."

"Whatever,"  I rolled my eyes and ran a hand through my blonde waves trying to tame it. Once we were about a block away from the school he let go over my hand. 

"Like you said before," he started. "The veil's broken. So this time I want you to guide us to heaven."

"Me?" I repeated. He nodded and I let out a short huff of breath that sounded like a weird laugh. I chewed on my lip and looked up at the sky. "Okay, Paul. How do I do this?"