《chapter 4 (part 1)》

Bruno's P.O.V

After Kalani left, I had a literal mental breakdown, right there in the kitchen. What he said was right, I wasn't opening up to him. Or to anyone for that matter. 

I ordered Chinese for the kids and set it on the table, calling them to come eat. Kalani still avoided eye contact with me and because of that, the table was completely silent. Kalea wasn't in the mood to talk either. I excused myself from the table, got up, and went upstairs to change into a t-shirt and some gray sweatpants, as usual. I didn't feel like going back downstairs so instead, I went to the place that I haven't stepped in since last December.

The attic. I pull the ladder down and climb up the little hole that appeared in the roof, using the flashlight on my phone so I could see where I was going. 

It smelled like skin cells and stale air. I took a deep breath a hauled myself up into the dark room. 

It was filled with boxes, mostly old things stored away, probably never to be seen again. The only time I ever came up here was around Christmas because this was where the decorations were stored away. I was the only one who came up here. I never used let Kallie climb up here by herself because she fell once and sprained her wrist. 

The floor creaked underneath me as I made my way over to the little bookshelf in the corner. A big wrinkled box sat on the bottom shelf that had "Bruno Mars" written in big bold letters with a permanent marker. I instantly knew what was in the box, and my hands shook a little as i took it up. I set my phone down so my phone's flashlight could illuminate the darkness. I opened the box and my hands touch some kind of cool metal. I pick the object up and examine it. 

It was one of my Grammy Awards.

I let out a big breath while I turned it around in my hands, my eyes blurring a little bit. 

It's funny, so many memories blurred my thoughts right then and there, it made me feel like I just won this Grammy yesterday. I place the trophy back into the box and freeze when I feel something sharp scrape my hand. I picked it up and realized that it's a book. Putting the box back on the shelf, I grab my phone and start climbing down the ladder again, the corners of the book poking my hand because I held it awkwardly. I put the ladder back up and climb quietly downstairs, careful not to alarm the kids, who were still eating.

I tip-toed to my guest room and sat on the bed, examining the book in my hands. On the front, "Bruno's Song Book" was messily scribbled. I wiped off the thing layer of dust on it and opened it. On the front page was Kallie and Kalani, who was about 4 in that picture. I took a breath and closed the book, then opened the little drawer in the nightstand and gently placed the book inside. 

That would have to wait, I thought. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Person P.O.V

A week later.

The day of the funeral approached quickly and Bruno and Genesis were both loathing it. Bruno was almost late waking up, Kalani didn't want to wake up at all. He knew what was happening. After a few sharp words from Bruno, he finally rolled out of bed and pulled himself to the bathroom.