《chapter 1》

Genesis' P.O.V

I glance toward the curly-haired, brown-eyed kid seated at desk right beside the window. It was getting late, I was tired.

This kid, Kalani, has to stay in here today and wait for his dad since the janitors are waxing the floors, so he can't wait in the hallways.

I'm becoming very worried about him. He was at the top of his class in terms of his grades, he was thriving. But ever since a few weeks ago, he's been skipping my classes, talking back to me, and failing. I'm not sure what's going on with him, or if it's any of my business. But it's making me very concerned. I tuck some of my hair behind my ear and continue grading my papers, wanting to ask him a simple question but biting my tongue to keep quiet.

"Kalani, when's your dad getting here?" I ask him anywas, looking at him across the classroom. He shrugs without looking up at me and continues scrolling through his phone, totally ignoring me as if I wasn't here. He runs his hand through his cropped curly hair and taps his feet on the floor, obviously anxious to leave.

"Well, do you want me to call him?" I ask again, pushing my round sliver rimmed glasses against my nose. He raises his phone at me to say that he already has that covered.

"Kalani, is everything ok.. you know, at home?" He finally looks up at me with an unreadable expression.

"Ms. Williamson, don't be that teacher who's always up in everybody's business. It's not cute," He says to me with a frown, then looks down at his phone again. I feel my mouth drop in surprise because this was definitely not what I expected him to say. He was acting more rude than I have ever heard from him. I purse my lips to keep from saying something that'll get me fired.

"Look, it's late, I'm tired, and I could've been on my way home by now but I was nice enough to stay with you until your dad gets here. Try me with that attitude again, I'm not your little friend."

To be totally honest, the reason why I volunteered to stay here with him is because his father is fine. And I wouldn't give up an opportunity to see him again. It doesn't matter if he's married or not, I just wanted to see him.

"Or what? Ms. Williamson, you were one of my favorite teachers because all you used do was say hi, teach, then say bye. Now you all up in my business. I'm fine." He mumbles out, loud enough for me to hear him.

"And you were one of my favorite students because all you did was walk in, do your work and pass, ask questions, be polite, and leave. You think it's cute that you're failing my class? It's not." I tell him, looking down at my work again. I see him open his mouth to say something then close it again, a look of annoyance on his face. Good, he needs to know the truth.

"I ain't in the mood for this right now, man. You just mad because when you go home you have to go sit by yourself in an empty bed, watching Friends and eating stale popcorn until you fall asleep. I saw that engagement ring disappear off your hand, Ms. Williamson, we all know what's going on." He said. My eyes widened as I slowly stood up and stared at him. Was be wrong? No. Was he being disrespectful? Yes. Was I trying my hardest to not slap someone else's kid? Absolutely.

Before I can say anything else, the class door opens and Mr-Fine-Ass-Hernandez steps in. He looks between the both of us, the look of anger on my face, and the look of annoyance and fear on Kalani's.