《chapter 2》

Bruno's P.O.V

I lay on my back in the bed in the guest room, staring up at the ceiling as if it was going to disappear any minute now. It was late, about 11pm, and I couldn't sleep.

Why am I sleeping in the guest room of my own house you might ask?

I can't step foot into my own bedroom.

The memories there, they were too much. Her smell lingered everywhere, on her pillow, in our closet, in our bathroom.

The smell that I once found hypnotizing and intoxicating was now sickly sweet and with it came the rush of memories that I did not want to relive with just the whiff of her fragrance.

It's been 3 weeks. 3 weeks since she has been gone. I try to convince myself that I was strong, that I could get through it without shedding a tear, or taking it out in the kids, but I broke both of my expectations when I threatened Kalani to leave my car and when I cried in front of the kids.

All this stress, it was coming back to slowly choke me.

What am I supposed to do without her? How am I going to be a single father? I lost the love of my life, how am i supposed to act? Like a emotionless father or a weak lunatic?

Then there's funeral.

I've never liked funerals ever since I was little. The overwhelming scent of flowers that was enough to stifle me, the sad songs.

The lifeless bodies. Hands crossed over their chests, poorly done makeup, the smell of the chemical they used to preserve the body. It was enough to send me hurling towards the nearest exit.

Their pale skins, wrinkled hands.. I take a deep breath and run my hand through my curly afro and wipe the tears tickling my cheeks.

I'm startled by a knocking at my door. I check my watch with a raised eyebrow. "Come in." I say.

Kalea tiptoes in with her little teddy Bear clutched to her chest, her face red. "What are you doing up so late, princess?" I ask her.

"I can't sleep, daddy. I've been standing out there for a while, trying to decide how I would walk in." She tells me, tugging her pink Cinderella pajamas. She looks up at me with pouted lips and big eyes. I give her a small smile and sit up, pulling the blanket off my legs. I pat the space beside me,signalling her to sit beside me.

"You wanna sleep with me tonight?" I ask as she struggles to get on the high bed. I let out a small chuckle and help her up. She plops herself beside me and sticks her thumb in her mouth, pulling the blanket over her legs.

"Yes, please." She mumbles. She leans her curly hair against my broad chest and hugs her teddy closer to her.

"Why didn't you put your hair up, baby?" I ask as her long curly hair tickles my arms.

"I tried, but my arms started hurting and I gave up. Mommy used to do it for me." She tells me. She takes an elastic off of her tiny wrist and hands it to me. "Can you do it for me, daddy?"

I shrug and take the elastic from her. "I can try, sweetheart."

I pull her hair up and start wrapping the elastic band. She holds her breath and crosses her fingers. "Please don't break, please don't break, please don't break." She mumbles.