Summer Romance: Chapter 12

****AUSTIN'S P.O.V.**** 

I run my fingers through my hair, completely flabbergasted. How am I supposed to react? My girlfriend of nearly two years just dumped me for no apparent reason. Have you ever seen one of those movies where someone starts running down a hall and it just keeps getting longer and longer? That's what my life felt like right now a long endless hallway looming farther and farther away.

        My car wouldn't start, so I sat there, stupidly, in her driveway.  I slide further into my seat and sigh sadly. My eyes close and all I can do is remember her.

*****Flashback******

"Come on,"

She whispered excitedly.

We race out into the street and run straight up the hill---- panting and barely breaking a sweat. We race against each other the cold night air causing her to shiver a little. We climb up the hill a little farther and as soon as we reach the highest point I drop the blanket and collapse on it. Somehow Kelly managed to be more graceful about it.

Eventually we were both settled down, just staring at the night’s sky. There was an ocean worth of space between us. It didn't seem that way though. Just a comfortable distance between us existed.

For days, Kelly had been trying to coerce me into sleeping under the stars with her and finally I agreed. Even though I probably wouldn't look at the stars once. There's this kind of electricity between us, the kind you read about in books. The perfect chemistry kind.

(Back to regular time)

I open up my eyes and bang my fist on the steering wheel. I was angry, upset, frustrated. Whatever happened to what we had? My mind flashes back to the day where I finally had the nerve to ask her out.

****Flashback****

I run after Ella hoping she'll stop and talk to me.

"Ella!"

I call.

I watch as her back stiffens and slowly, she rigidly turns around.

"What do you want?"

Ella barks and puts her hands on her hips.

I put my hands up as if in surrender. Slowly I slide over to her, pretending that I'm James Bond. We grin at each other and start laughing. When I reach her I match her steps with mine.

"Soo..."

I start.

"Soo?"

She asks hopefully and raises her eyebrows suggestively. I give her a lopsided grin.

"Do you think Kelly would ever date me?"

I ask in a rush.

Her eyes flash with confusion before she easily conceals it. She pauses for a second and her eyes spark up.

"Probably,"

She confides and nods to herself.

I blink, was she serious? I chuckle and can't help but feel my knees go a little weak as I see Kelly standing by her locker. I do a miniature fist pump for encouragement and stalk off in the direction of Kelly's locker.

She has her locker wide open and she's patting down her hair. Stealthily I quietly pick my feet and make my way over to her.

Then with a whisper I say,

"Hey,"

Kelly jumps a foot in the air and whips around.

"Austin!"

Kelly squeals.

 I can't help but smile at her, my grin so wide that my cheeks ache.

"That was not funny!"

She pouts for a second before looking back in her mirror. Kelly's hair fine, probably just an excuse to hide.

"Mmmmhmmmgha"

I clear my throat loudly and obnoxiously.

"Yes Austin?"

Kelly raises her eyebrow and I feel like I'm going to be sick. I crack my knuckles and wipe my palms on my pants. For a moment Kelly just watches me.

Taking a deep breath Kelly states,

"Well I guess I had better go, I'll see you around Austin,"

It takes a minute for all of that to process, when it sinks in I take off running.

"Kelly! Wait,"

She stops dead in tracks and waits for me to catch up. I take in a small gasp and spill out a bunch of garbled language.

"What was that?"

She inquires, cocking her head to the side. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves.

"Will you, Kelly, go on a date with me?"

Her pale cheeks flush a bright red before she mumbles out an answer.

"I'd like that,"

With that said, Kelly stalks off gracefully out the school doors.

(Back to regular time)

I sigh again and notice her walking to my car. Kelly knocks on the passenger door. I unlock it quickly and she hops in. The engine chooses then to start up. I barely give her time to buckle before I'm manically driving out of there, not wanting her to change her mind at the last minute. I steal a side glance in her direction and I could've sworn I saw half a smile.

*******KELLY' P.O.V.***********

I buckle up and Austin starts to drive automatically as if my entrance started the car engine. I can't help it but a small smile creeps onto my face remembering all the good times we had in this car. My smile fades once my brain realizes that those good times are in the past, Austin and I have broken up, and that he cheated and lied to me. I slumped against the window, not saying a word as Austin put on the radio, and waited to find out where he was taking me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

****** Authors Note*******

Hey! I'm sorry for the wait! I guess life just gets in the way. I hope you like it ~ Ally (buswriters98)

Comment &&&&&&&&& Vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!