Summer Romance: Chapter 16

It’s already been two whole weeks since the accident. Austin is still in the hospital, and I’ve taken on the role of pretending to be fine --- which in my opinion is no easy task. For the past week and a half my days have consisted of getting up, possibly brushing my hair, staring at an empty plate, and faking pleasantness amongst my friends.

You would think that my friends at least would be sympathetic, but they aren’t, I guess it’s probably because we all remember the moments before. We remember the arguing, the too harsh words, and we especially remember the first time it happened. My mind travels back to freshmen year. I shudder slightly, my light airy pink shirt moving with me. 

** FLASHBACK **

            One of Austin's football friends, sits down next to me and takes a seat on the grey seats of the yellow school bus and grins at me. Alex nods his head off at Austin who is sitting comfortably next to me.

Austin gets the silent message, kisses me on the side of my cheek and says,

"Be right back babe, talk to Alex."

I raise my eyebrow and give him a funny look. I nod my head slowly and watch Austin as he sits down further back in the bus. Just another year and we can finally drive our own cars and I'll get to ride with Austin every morning without these kinds of interruptions. 

            “So how’s it going?” Alex asks me with a smirk.

            “Fine…?” I questioningly throw back at him.

            “That’s good,” He nods thoughtfully. I always felt incredibly awkward speaking with him, solely because he had admitted that he had a huge crush on me.

            “Just spit it out, what do you want?” I ask him bluntly.

            “So how are you and Austin?” Alex drags out the last few syllables before dropping his eyes a little too low.

            “I don’t think that is really any of your business is it?” I respond a little too snidely.

            “I am his best friend,” He says it all too cockily, causing me to grind my teeth together and clench my fists, digging my fingernails into the palms of my hands.

            “We’re fantastic Alex,”

the boy gives me wry smile and it makes my skin crawl.

Gosh just the sight of him made my skin crawl, never in my life had I met more of a testosterone induced jock. 

            “Are you sure?” he feigns surprised, mocking a gasp.

            “What do you know ?” I ask tiredly, completely sick of his little game. This boy-man was worse than a gossiping teenage girl.

            “Well you know Austin is my best friend, and well the other day he might have admitted to liking someone else…”

Tears fill my eyes and it feels like there is a large stone stuck in my throat, what do you do when the person you love more than anyone else has lost interest enough in you to notice someone else?

            I clear my throat and clench my jaw, “Whatever , you’re just trying to cause trouble between us.”

            “Don’t believe me go ask the knight in shining armor himself,” and with that Alex turns around and leans over the seat in front of him to talk to Jess.

            I let out a deep breath and swipe angrily at my eyes. It’s bad enough that we all ride the same bus, but the fact that as I slyly turn around he was in a deep conversation with Mary Amsdam made it a lot worse.