nineteen

On my way to find these street musicians I receive a call that surprises me. My friends are not the type to call unless there's something punctual, like trying to find out where the hell the other is. That's why I'm surprised when I see Moni's contact on the screen of my mobile phone. Out of all my friends she's probably the worst at calling or keeping in touch, so it's even weirder that it's her the one calling me right now. But then again, it's not that odd because they know I'm supposed to meet a complete stranger today and they've been wary of this moment from the beginning. I mean, the advised me against it.

I decide to stop at a small convenience store to buy a bottle of coke before I pick up the call. All this walking is exhausting, I normally just walk when headings home or leaving home. I'm not exactly tired but I think it's okay to take a little rest before I continue with my quest.

"Hello?" I say pressing the mobile against my ear.

"Uff, you're alive. That's a relief. I'm glad you didn't get killed," my friend says and I chuckle.

"Yeah, no murder. I was just sold in the black market. Nothing out of the ordinary," I joke picking the bottle I'll buy. The shop is small and I'm the only costumer.

"It happens to everyone, don't worry," Moni jokes along And I keep the smile as I head to the counter and pay for my drink.

"I know, I mean after the third time I got totally used to it. I'm an expert by now," I continue and we both laugh.

This is something we always do and which is a bit weird for normal people. Okay, really weird. When we try to play like this with other people it's never the same, they can't really go with the flow. We always start with something small and it keeps escalating and escalating until it becomes something so bizarre we cry for laughing so hard. It's an unusual sense of humour and it works so well between us. We know exactly when the other is joking even if we keep a straight face or if it doesn't sounds plausible. It's a sense of humour tainted with darkness and cruelty, but we never get offended. It flows so easily between us, our crazy theories and dark jokes that it's hard to remember other people don't do this, people don't take their jokes to the limit and beyond. Normal people don't extrapolate every thing they heard or make absurd crazy theories. When I interact with my friends from secondary school, I'm reminded that my humour is not the norm and not everyone understands us.

"I hope you have a decent master now," Moni muses. "Last time she was so annoying. I'm not surprised you got rid of her."

"And thanks to watching Criminal Minds and CSI I got away with murder, literally," I continue and I bet my friend is nodding. The woman who receives my money looks at me so horrified and I can't help it, I laugh out loud. That's the normal reaction from people when they hear us joking whilst sounding as if we were talking about the weather.

"And my mum says we watch too many of those shows. Pff, little she knows it's just research for our plans to kill everyone and cleanse the world," Moni continues and I just walk away from the shop, unscrewing the bottle to take the first sip.

It's a lovely autumn afternoon, chilly but bearable. The wind is cold but at the same time refreshing. I take off my wool hat to let the soft wind brush my hair and feel a bit free.

"Murder plans aside, because we'll let David Tennant Handle those, how's it going? Is he nice?" Moni asks in a more excited tone.

"In fact I haven't met him yet," I confess and I swear I can hear her gasping. In my mind I see my brunette friend with a shocked expression, frowning at the mobile.

"Mila!" I hear her calling out loud. "Maca says she hasn't met her post-it guy!"

Next thing I hear some noise and I assume my other friend is now next to Moni and they've put the speaker. "How's that you haven't met him?" Mila demands. "You left this morning to meet him and we've been the whole day worried sick and you're telling us you haven't met him?!"