― 18. taking care of business

IT'S AFTERNOON when Pippa jolts awake at the sound of booming thunder

IT'S AFTERNOON when Pippa jolts awake at the sound of booming thunder. Through her curtains she can see the flashing light and soon the noisiness of heavy rain pattering down. Her body is cold as she slightly starts to shake under the covers, looking around desperately confused. Anxiety is coursing through her as she doesn't recognize where she is and soon sees an IV in her. Pippa hates the sound of the rain banging down on the roof above her, she hates storms. Being alone in an unrecognizable bedroom, Pippa can only stare around and cling to her blankets as she tries to think what to do. Her chest is heavy and she's trapped in the feeling of fear as she can only anticipate another strike of thunder and the worst. The only thing she can remember, from what she imagines to be the other night, was Nana leaving for Florence. Her eyes are starting to fill with tears as a terror courses through her bones.

Pippa yanks the IV out of her arm and pushes herself out of bed. Immediately she stumbles almost falling to the ground, she's weak. Black spots form in her vision as she tries supporting herself up against the bed. Her head hurts and her whole body feels like it's being weighed to the floor. God, she's even in clothing she's never seen before.

As she's finally recollecting herself, she begins to take in her surroundings. The room she's in is gorgeous, almost similar to her's from the Continental. Lavish. Warm. And probably expensive. Pippa's eyes take in the paintings, antique furniture, and soon the large windows. Her feet then carry her to them, where she brushes asides the curtains and looks out. The sky is dark as rain storms down at an intense pace- but it's the vineyard and the countryside that confuses her. Last she checked she was in the city of Rome, so where is she now?

Her head is spinning as she desperately tries to run through her memory-- her body feels like it's spinning for too long as she doesn't hear the sound of the door opening behind her.

"Pippa!"

The sound of a familiar voice makes her snap out of it and turn around, "oh my god Nans!"

"Thank god you're finally awake," Nana rushes over to her best friend and pulls her into a crushing hug.

"I'm glad to see you too?" Pippa says laughing as Nana still hasn't let go of her, which confuses her. Nana's acting like they went days without seeing one another, "you just left yesterday for Florence, I'm confused..."

"Uh Pips, you may wanna take a seat."

"Where are we?"

"Here," Nana leads Pippa back to the bed she woke up in, "sort of a long story."

Pippa doesn't like the look on her friends face and how she's acting. A pit is forming in her stomach telling her something isn't right, "what's going on?" she presses.

Nana takes a deep breath, "you've been out for about a day and a half."

"What?" a panic starts to rise in her chest. Out? As in passed out?