― 01. rome

IT'S A beautiful July afternoon in Rome, Italy with clear blue skies and shouts of joy dancing along the streets

IT'S A beautiful July afternoon in Rome, Italy with clear blue skies and shouts of joy dancing along the streets. The city appears to be celebrating as streamers fly and venders are scattered with their various multi colored objects. It's a whole new world compared to Britian, with its classical style buildings and the culture in general. It's a bit of a shock. The mood's different, the people are different but that doesn't seem to be a bad thing as everyone's welcoming. Even the shining sun is a nice change from the cloudy London. It's all one big adventure. The Expo Tevere arts and crafts fair appears to be in full swing; extending along the roads and the riverbanks. Food stands are selling oils, wines, and olives. It's the perfect time for someone to come and buy authentic Roman wares; and Pippa had to force herself not to stop.

The stairs leading up to the Rome Continental are grand and tall; with a red carpet going up them. The door is gigantic and eclectic against the old building; with a 'C' plastered on it in red. Above the door etched into the stone are the words 'Continentale'.

Inside is no lesser of a feat. Pippa and Nana find themselves gaping at how beautiful it is. Every detail, painting, and sculpture is perfect and thought out. The red accents are a stunning touch amongst the warm cream and cool white colors. It's like a palace inside with another gorgeous staircase that probably goes for floors up to the rooms. Pippa feels guilty thinking this place has more beauty than the hotel she knows all too well in London; but it's just so different.

The two girls follow behind George towards the front desk where a man stands awaiting. He's dressed in what's probably a designer suit and is holding a glass in hand. He looks ancient, just like Pippa's grandfather, so she's sure they know each other.

"Ah Signore George Adams, we're so glad you could make it," the man has a huge smile on his face speaking speaks perfect english as he takes George's hand in a firm shake. He seems overjoyed to see Pippa's grandfather, "it's been years hasn't it?"

Nana nudges her friend and mutters into her ear, "When I was here for that few months it was easy speaking english to people so we'll be good."

"Okay that's a relief, guess we'll just seem mad with our accents now." her comment makes her friend laugh in agreement.

The man who welcomed Grandfather Adams then turns his attention to the two girls who seem very out of place, talking amongst themselves quietly. He looks them over seeing their hesitancy but he's excited to finally meet the youngest member of the Adams family, "ah which one of you is Miss Adams? I've heard all about you from your mother and father through the years."

She shyly steps up and stutters as she goes to answer, "that's me. I'm Pippa, it's nice to meet you..."

"Julius." he smiles fondly giving his name, "and this is?"

"This is my friend Nana." she motions back and Nana gives a friendly wave and saying 'hi'.

"Well it's a pleasure to meet you two," Julius extends his hand out to her, "I'm the Continental manager here, whatever you ladies need, just let me know."