CHAPTER 10: Touching the Heavens

"Just one more Stone to boot!" Edgar shouted joyfully.

           "That was too close!" Faith cried. The little fairy hadn't said anything since before entering the Rox Caverns. "I can't believe my brother risked his life!"

           Edgar was momentarily speechless. Not from the fairy's words - from the high speed taking his breath away. "That was your brother?!"

          Faith blushed. "I've said too much. Let's just return the Axenite to Camarat and speak to Jinx."

         Edgar suspected the fairy was hiding something, but he didn't press her for information. He was so close to rescuing Charley and Barley!

         Camarat said nothing upon seeing the Axenite, but her tears were distinct. Jinx nodded. "The final Ethereal Stone is the Diamond, which grants flight. It's in Cloudopolis, closely guarded by an enchanted dragon. Be careful."

         "A dragon?" Edgar gasped.

        Jinx closed her eyes, and a gorgeous sword appeared on Edgar's back. The blade was silver, with a diamond hilt. The magic in it pulsed through him, temporarily uniting with his inner power. Jinx opened her eyes. "That sword is an ancient Sky heirloom. You should not fail."

       "Woah..." Edgar beamed at the sight. "What can this thing do?"

       "It will function along with your energy," Jinx said. "Your power and its power are now linked. The sword obeys you, and only you." She scowled, which looked wrong on her flawless face. "The Apparitionist's head adviser is there as well. He must be putting all of his resources into this mission. A last resort. He is weakening."

       Edgar rolled his eyes. "Talk about desperation."

       "He probably never did it before because he didn't expect us to succeed," Faith huffed.

       Hearth frowned. "His fears are not ungrounded. He is scared you will destroy everything he has worked so hard for. He will want you dead, no matter the cost." She smiled. "But you will have the powers of the other nine Ethereal Stones on your side. It is plain that, combined with your own magic, nobody can contest you fairly."

      Edgar smiled. "Awesome. I'm ready."

     He stood before a magnificent sky city. A large mob of people with light blue eyes approached him, chattering excitedly. One, a flawless woman like Jinx, bowed to Edgar, flexing her large, feathered wings. "Greetings, Destined One. We have been expecting you."

      Edgar bowed to her as well. "I'm Edgar, and I'm here to vanquish the dragon."

     The woman smiled. "I am Angelica. Serenity is a permanent guest here in Cloudopolis, though recently she has turned against us. Many suspect enchanting, though nobody has confirmed it. I can lead you to her. Follow me." She took off toward the stone fortress in the distance, and Edgar sprinted to follow.

      Edgar paused to catch his breath, and considered the nine gleaming crystals in the small bag at his waist. "I wonder what kind of powers I'll get from these Stones."

     Faith emerged from the fur behind his ear. "Passion, telepathic shielding, telepathy, infinite speech, healing, emotion sensing, decryption, longevity and strength and camouflage, in order."

    "Thanks, you really do a good job-"

     A thunderous roar cut him off. It sounded like it came from the fortress. Angelica was a speck in the distance.

    "The dragon," Edgar muttered, sprinting ahead with renewed vigor. Angelica was flying back to her people. She saluted Edgar as he passed beneath her.

     Entering the fortress, Edgar discovered it consisted of a single chamber with a high ceiling. An immense dragon with glittering scales sat on a raised pedestal in the center. The scales were dark blue and violet, shimmering with rainbows. A slim collar encircled her neck, with the Diamond dangling from it.

     "Is it just me, or do these monsters get more and more difficult to face?!"Edgar cried. The dragon raised her head, her coppery eyes boring into him, opened her large jaws, and roared again.

     "Stop, Serenity, you'll scare off our guests," came a sweet voice. A coldly beautiful woman wearing a seriously revealing dress emerged from behind the dragon, gently stroking her neck.

     Edgar bared his fangs. "You must be the Apparitionist's head adviser."

     The woman regarded him with a smirk. "Skye. And you must be the spider who's throwing a wrench into my master's plans. Your little friends will never see you again."

      Rage boiled up in Edgar at the mention of his friends. "Once I kill that dragon and Welkisberk, they will."

      Skye threw back her head and laughed. "You think this is just a game! You are living in a fantasy world, child. You won't make it past me." She was wearing her armor again, and drew her lightning sword. She leapt onto Serenity's back, who in turn unfurled her mighty wings and roared, releasing a jet of white-hot flames into the air.

     Edgar dug the Axenite out of his bag, feeling the extra strength flowing through him. He drew his sword and swung at Serenity's neck, barely missing. The tip of the sword tore a hole in one of Serenity's wings, and she blasted fire at Edgar, who shouted and rolled out of the way.

    Rising to his feet again, Edgar swiped at Skye, who blocked the blow effortlessly with her own sword. He abruptly changed tactics, swinging at her legs. The force of the collision knocked Skye off Serenity. Serenity howled and arched her neck, biting a chunk of flesh out of Edgar's side.

    The spider screamed in agony, scrabbling in the bag for the Amethyst. Grasping it healed his injuries, leaving no trace. Skye swung for him, and Edgar reached inward for his own power. Drawing his sword again, he blocked the blow, sending the sword out of her hands. Briefly arching, he drove his sword through Skye's abdomen.

    She froze, and her armor vanished, revealing her tattered and bloodied form. Edgar sheathed his sword, regarding her coldly. "Any last words?"

    She spat at him. "See you in Hell."

    Edgar turned his back on her, not wanting to give her the mercy of a quick death. Serenity had not tried to attack him, and she seemed intimidated. She arched her neck gracefully, the Diamond dangling within his reach. Edgar took hold of it and tore it free from the collar. Serenity's eyes showed signs of sincerity, and she turned sideways, lowering a wing. It took Edgar a moment to register that she was offering him a ride.

    Climbing aboard, he clung to Serenity's neck and shouted, "Away!" Serenity took off in the direction of the Temple, flying faster than any creature.

    Letting the wind whistle through his fur, he contemplated his next move. He had all the Stones now, and Charley and Barley were waiting. As long as Welkisberk hadn't caught on...

     Welkisberk.

    Edgar's rage flared up again, and his next step became clear.

   He'd find Welkisberk.

    And he'd kill him.

                                         ~END OF CHAPTER~