CHAPTER 6: Royal Affairs

Halfway there, and he was still alive. Edgar couldn't believe his luck! But at the same time, his most recent encounter with the Scallion had nearly killed him. He wasn't sure how far luck would get him now.

          "Well done, young one!" Nerlex cried. "You've done it!"

           Edgar wiped his forehead. "I just hope it gets easier..."

           Hearth stepped forward, her silver fur robes swishing around her. "The next Stone is the Sterling, and you will find it in the Malice Palace. The guardian is one of the Apparitionist's more powerful minions."

            The mental image broadcast a village, and a large castle beyond. The castle was carved from glossy blue brick, with windows that cast no reflections. A creature black as midnight rested on top of the castle's highest tower, too far away to discern any details.

            "What is that thing?" Edgar asked, scared.

             Hearth sighed. "That is King Coal. He's one of the Apparitionist's creations. He guards not only the Sterling, but also the palace itself. There should be a few royal delegates who want him gone, so take heart in knowing you have allies."

            "Alright."

            He felt the warped sensation like usual, and he found himself in the village. Not surprisingly, the royal delegates wore rich clothes and fancy jewels. All of the males had fierce golden eyes, and the females all had intense silver eyes.

            But Edgar didn't have much time to appreciate this before a young girl with dark hair barreled into him. "Out of my way, bug!"

           "Well, sorry," Edgar spat. Where were that girl's manners?

             The girl retraced her steps, then purposely bumped him again. Edgar felt his energy welling up, like a fire that needed to expand.

              When the girl backed up to bump him a third time, Edgar whirled to face her and bared his fangs at her.

             "Back off," he growled.

             She jumped back, her face when white as snow, and she turned and bolted off.

             "That's what I thought," he snarled. He didn't even care that all the other royals in the area were gawking at him.

              A redheaded girl who looked no older than nine years old spoke. She was wearing a floaty golden dress. "You're freaky. What are you?"

             "I'm a spider," Edgar said, insulted. He thought it was obvious just from looking at him.

               The girl's face twisted in disgust. "That's ridiculous. You're too big."

               "Is there a problem?" Edgar snapped at her, baring his fangs again. This girl looked terrified as well, but didn't stop talking. "Yeah, there is. Your kind don't belong here."

              "Leave him alone, Kaj. Get lost," someone else said. This speaker was a teenager identical to the redhead girl, but she looked about eighteen. The nine-year-old stuck her tongue out at the older girl, then ran off.

              "Thanks for telling her off," Edgar muttered, brushing himself off.

               "It's no issue. Little sisters, you know. They're annoying, but they get away with everything." She extended her hand. "I'm Nagia. Are you really a spider?"