CHAPTER 2: Taking the Plunge

The Ruby was quickly tugging him back towards the Temple. Edgar felt exalted as the air rushed around him. For a brief moment, he wondered why he'd been worrying so much.

       He landed softly in front of the ruins, and practically dashed inside. He held up the glittering red jewel for the Elders to see.

      Hoa nodded his approval. "Well done, arachnid. I'm very proud of your work."

     Edgar blushed a little. "Well, thanks."

     Marlow, the Sea Elder, spoke up. "Your next location is the fisherman's hometown - Sedove Cove."

    Just hearing that made Edgar want to cry again. He could only imagine what Barley was suffering through right now.

     Apparently his unrest was obvious, because Marlow interrupted his inner thoughts. "Did I cause you pain?"

   "You certainly did," Hearth said. "I can feel his sorrow from here. It is unbearable!" Tears could be seen on her transparent face.

   "No, no, it's fine." Edgar dabbed at his own tears.

    Marlow turned back to him. "Go quickly. We cannot allow the Apparitionist to get his hands on any more of the Ethereal Stones."

    Edgar held his head high. "Got it."

     Immediately afterward, he experienced a sensation like his was folding into himself. Brief fizzing accompanied the feeling, and he could smell the sea.

     When his vision cleared, he could see a lot of sand and ocean. The breeze ruffled his fur, carrying the taste of salty spray. Looking to either his left or right, he could see lots of beach and sea and people. Looking straight ahead, he saw a bustling sea town situated on a boardwalk. Every person in his line of sight was dressed either as a pirate or sailor of some sort. Edgar could definitely envision Barley growing up here.

    But the question was, where would there be a place to hide an Ethereal Stone in a place so mellow?

    The answer surfaced: try asking a local. It seemed so obvious now.

     Edgar approached a woman in a typical sailor costume. With her deep blue eyes and hair dyed pink, she looked like she'd just stepped out of an anime.

    Edgar tapped her leg. "Excuse me."

    She glanced at him. "Can I help you?"

    "Uh... yes, you can, actually. Have you heard of the Sea Stone?"

     The girl stopped examining her nails and looked him right in the eye. "So you're the Destined One that the Fire Tribe told us about. I don't know where it is, but maybe you could ask Naori."

     Edgar felt relieved. At least there was someone who could actually help him out. "Sounds good to me. Who's Naori? Where do I find her?"

     Anime-girl waved her hand in the direction of the village. "She works at the Black Pearl. Souvenir shop. You can't miss it. Tell her Sunday sent you."

     Edgar nodded and set off for the village. On the way, he caught the attention of several sea-goers. One couple in particular, a blonde sailor guy and a brunette pirate girl, stared him down all the way to the store. The anime girl - Sunday - had been right. The souvenir shop was impossible to miss. Fashioned from dark glossy wood, it shone in the sun with a faint sheen. Above the weathered door was an old-fashioned sign that clearly said "The Black Pearl Souvenirs".

     Inside, the shop looked new. Everything was marble and glass. A flustered woman who looked around Barley's age was tidying. Her cinnamon-and-sugar hair was pulled back in a high ponytail, and her glasses were silver, advertising her sea-blue eyes. She was wearing a long white cardigan, a shirt with a sailboat pattern, and washed-up jeans with a pair of brown boots. She didn't notice the young spider and his fairy companion standing in her doorway.