CHAPTER 7: Forest of Memories

"I got the Sterling!" Edgar cheered.

       Hearth's grin was almost nine miles wide. "You are elated. I am overjoyed!"

       Brick inclined his head. "The location of the Emerald is in the Enchanted Forest."

        This image was of an ordinary forest, but with a shimmery rainbow dome over it. "Why is it all rainbowy like that?"

       "That is the magic protecting the Enchanted Forest from enemies like Welkisberk," Brick explained. "The guardian of the Emerald is actually not one of Welkisberk's creatures at all - it is something that has resided in the forest for a very long time."

       "How long?" Edgar asked, curiously.

        Brick shuddered. "Since I founded the Forest Tribe millennia ago. They're insects that feed on wood."

       Edgar frowned. "So, they're like termites?"

       "They are termites," Brick replied.

        Edgar gulped, but before he could speak, he found himself in the middle of the forest.

         Faith flittered by his ear. "Do you get the feeling that someone's watching us from these trees?"

        "P-probably."

         A small encampment came into view, with a bunch of people dressed in travel clothes. Edgar was not surprised to see that the Forest Tribe all had green eyes. "That's not surprising. They all have green eyes," he muttered to Faith.

         She rolled her eyes. "You've noticed the pattern. Where could they possibly hide an Emerald in a camp?"

        "No clue," he replied honestly. "Let's keep looking."

        Edgar caught the attention of many of the forest delegates, but this time he didn't even care. He had a specific agenda. But after finding no hint of the Emerald, he finally spoke. "Anything yet, Faith?"

        The fairy shook her head. "We'd best ask one of the onlookers. I can't foresee any other way to find that Emerald."

        Edgar silently agreed. "How about that one?" He gestured to a young boy with tousled silver hair. "Should we ask him?"

        "He looks reliable," Faith considered. "We should."

         They approached the boy, who was examining a rock at the base of a tree. It had a distinct sheen, and a black stripe. The boy took no notice of their approach, though he did look up at them when they stopped by him. "Can I help you?"

          "Hi, I'm Edgar, and we need directions to the Emerald."

          The boy paused. "...wait. Do I know you from somewhere?"

          Edgar crossed his arms. "I'm the hero everyone's talking about. I'm looking for the Ethereal Stones."

          The boy gasped. "You're him! ...no offense, but I was expecting a warrior. You're a child."

         "Yeah, pretty unexpected."

           The boy was nodding vigorously. "I'm Boulder, I didn't think I'd actually get to meet you!"

           Edgar smiled. "Well, it's nice to meet you now."

          "The termites have really been cracking down on our camps," Boulder mourned. "We hid the Emerald in their nest so nobody would touch it. Nobody likes termites."