Interlude 3

"I sent a cloudwing to Mercury Chasm immediately after I sent the one to Sedove Cove. Let's hope that spider is slow."

      Welkisberk seethed, his face growing scarlet. "He'd better be."

     The cloudwing flew in, screeching wildly. Skye's lovely features twisted in anger. "He what?!"

    "What now?!" Welkisberk snapped.

      Skye whirled to face her master. "The spider just acquired the Topaz! How is he getting around so quickly?!"

     "What ?!" Welkisberk screamed.

     "This is getting ridiculous!" Skye shouted, stomping her foot like a child. "You'd best send your strongest creations to fend him off until you can collect the Stones yourself."

      "You speak to open ears. That's the best strategy." He huffed.

       Unluckily for the king, two particular servants had heard every word.

      "Ya hear that, Barley?" Charley whispered, excited. "Edgar's got the Topaz!"

      That's the second Ethereal Stone! He only has seven more to go, and then he can forge the weapon!

      Barley was dabbing at tears. "I've never been so proud of him..."

      "He'll be here for us before we know it!"

        But certainly he'll need some more assistance. Did either of you see any mention of a "Prophecy" in Skye's diary?

      "I did," Barley said, finally regaining control of himself.

       Good! She was part of the Doombringers at one point, before Welkisberk's wife, Queen Elegance, ordered her assassination. Tonight, your assignment is to sneak into the royal chambers and spy on the queen. I'm almost certain she's plotting something.

      "We're on it," Charley said confidently.

       After receiving directions to the royal chambers, they slipped into the room undetected. A coldly beautiful brunette was reclining on at least a thousand pillows while a servant painted her nails. She was dressed in a green velvet nightgown that showed generous skin.

     "Goodness gracious!" she muttered, her voice a resonant alto. "When did Lurther get so busy to spend any time with me? It's like I matter to him not more than a ragdoll!"

    "Please be patient, Your Highness," the servant replied, rather boldly. "I'm sure he'll be back with you in no time at all."

     "Be patient?!" the queen huffed. "It's been months! What could he possibly be doing that's more important than me?!"

      Barley turned to Charley, mouthing, clingy much? Charley stifled a laugh.

      Frustrated, Elegance shooed the servant away. She fell backwards onto the bed, laying a hand over her eyes.

      Sighing, she said, "These servants don't understand my predicaments. If I'd kept Prophecy here, I could've had her children listen to me. That Hunter was a cute child, and a hard worker. I'm not so sure about the daughter, though. But that's wishful thinking on my part. She's dead, and her children should be too."

     She seethed. "Why did my daughters get competent servants?!"

    "What is she talking about?" Charley hissed.

     Hunter sounded bitter when he spoke. Prophecy was my mother. This revolting woman ordered the Doombringers to betray and kill her, along with me and my sister. But the joke's on her - we all survived.

      Both men considered this in silence.

     Thankfully, my sister is helping your friend. She's quite capable. Your friend harbors great power, just like you both.

"What do you mean, 'us both'?" they said in unison.

      They could sense Hunter was laughing. You do not know of each other's abilities? How odd. I can sense both of your powers from my standing point, though that's probably due to my telepathy.

    "Powers?!"

     I'll say no more on the subject. I'm positive you'll find out eventually. For now, retreat to your room. If Elegance catches you, she will not be nearly as lenient as Skye.