Wrong Number [29]

"Yellow?" a voice sang from the other end, playful and deep. Yet . . . there was an underlying nervousness Kylee could hear.

"Hi," she greeted, feeling shy all of a sudden. Have I made a mistake? Should I be calling him? What if he realizes I'm different over text, or what if he's different? Kylee failed to stop the racing thoughts.

"Hey, Stargirl," Dennis returned, exhaling slightly. "You sound . . . tired."

"I've always been a stickler for compliments."

"It's what I do."

There was a brief silence, and Kylee could hear shuffling in the background. "Alright," Dennis announces suddenly, "I've grabbed my Cheetos and am now comfortable on my College Issued Dorm Room Bed," a pause, "which is trademarked by the way."

Kylee couldn't help the laugh that escaped her lips, and she felt a weight leave her shoulders. He was still Dennis, it seemed. Sweet, funny Dennis that she's gotten to know over the last few months. Even when he went on a date, and even as they were on their first phone call.

Then she grew solemn, and her back settled against her desk chair. "Where do I even begin?"

"How about wherever you want?" he suggested. "Whatever you're most comfortable with?"

Kylee curled her fingers into a fist, closed her eyes, and allowed her memories of her childhood to control her words.