Chapter 1.a (Phillip's POV): SECOND CHANCE AT FAME AND...

Top five. Not bad.

For the first time since “Home,” he was able to release a single that reached out to many people. But he was always that kind of guy: put out music that he liked but did not really care if it did not speak out to a lot of people. He was simple. He did not like mainstream. But lately he found himself shifting from his indie style to southern/country rock. And country definitely had a lot of followers.

Top five. His manager gave him the great news and he was actually very happy. He didn’t expect it to chart so high.

“Great job, Phil!” his manager, Robert, praised, “Your name is back on the charts! Don’t worry about it not charting higher, Jessica also put out a new single so it was expected to debut at number one. But we’ll get there.”

“Jessica?” he asked, as if he didn’t already know. 

“Jessica Sanchez, man. I’m sure you remember her."

And he did. That sweet, sweet girl who always had the greatest things to say. She always was so genuine in showing her affection. He has always been so fond of her personality. Actually, he thought they were the same: shy, timid, humble. Stage presence was really just what differentiated them. She always had that extra sass, something that really struck him. He didn’t like sass or big productions but something about her made him so engrossed whenever she performed. And that smile… so innocent but at the same time, so…

What was he thinking? His mind was shifting from her eyes to her lips to her hands…

“Phillip?” a voice called out.

He turned around and saw that it was his brother-in-law Ben. “Hey man, what’s up?” he replied. He was relieved to see him, especially with the vivid images that came rushing down his thoughts.

“Robert called me up. He booked you to perform at the Grammys in a month. We gotta start preparing.”

“What? The Grammys?” he asked, dumbfounded. The Grammys wanted him to perform? But he wasn’t that big of an artist…

“Yeah your song charted higher than they expected and they think it will stay there for quite some time. Good job. Now let’s do this!” he pats him on the back and gives him the guitar. “Phil Phillips is back!”

He was happy but at the same time he just wanted to stay in bed and rest. Actually, he really just wanted to get back to his thoughts. Jessica Sanchez. It’s been four years.  Oh that girl. He couldn’t suppress a smile.  “That little diva,” he thought. He always knew she was gonna be big…

-Flashback-

Four years ago…

I couldn’t finish the song. So many emotions were rushing through me; it was too much to take. I can’t believe Idol is still making me sing… it’s too difficult… I tried to sing though, as best as I could but all I really wanted was to go down and embrace my family. Everything can wait. And that’s what I did.

People continued applauding even if I basically just walked out the stage. I was with my family and my shaking lessened. Hannah was there too. All of a sudden, she kissed me hard. I really did not like public display of affection. But I did not want to be rude so I kissed her back.

When I broke the kiss, I turned to my fellow contestants to smile but my eyes automatically saw Jessica. She was smiling but her eyes weren’t. They were crying. I did not know if it was tears of joy or hurt. Maybe both? I just stole her dream. She had the right. Now I feel bad…

She nodded at me and left the stage with Colton and Jeremy. I tried to follow her but Hannah was holding my hand tightly, I couldn’t…

-End of flashback-

A sudden rush of adrenaline came charging down his body. THE GRAMMYS. She was surely going to be there. Jessica was going to be there. 

“BENJAMIN!!!!” he shouted, rushing to find his brother-in-law.

“What?” Ben replied.

“Get your silly butt off the couch man, we’ve got to impress lots of people in the Grammys.”

Actually, he just wanted to impress one.