Chapter 3

Kiera's POV
I slipped on my red and black flannel as I left the room I shared with the other two interns. Hannah and Samantha, I think their names were. I shook my head as I walked along the deserted corridor. Turning the corridor I found a small sitting area right below a fairly large window.

Sitting down I leaned back against the wall and brought my legs up to my chest. I glanced outside the window. I immediately shot towards the window pressing my hands against the glass, my face was so close that it clouded at my breath.

What I saw before I was the most amazing sight I ever saw. There was black all around, but that's not what drew me in. It was how big the world was despite the constant movement away deeper into space we were headed. How the vast land stretched around the sphere. The same land that housed thousands of people. How blue the water was surrounding the land, making it pop causing one's eye to not do anything but look at it. The swirls of clouds that moved to the wind took my breath away. If that wasn't enough the millions of stars dotting the background just made it even more amazing.

My heart ached at the sight of my home slowly getting farther and farther away. If anything a hollow feeling filled my stomach that could easily be substituted for hunger.

"Beautiful Isn't it?" A calm voice said from behind me. Surprised I lept forward hitting my head on the glass. I drew back a hand pressed against my throbbing head. I groaned as I turned to face the person who thought it was a good idea to sneak up on someone who was so close to a window.

Turning my head I found that it was Lance. He quickly moved to sit down across from me his eyes wide with shock.

"Are you alright?" he asked reaching a hand forward so he could look. I jerked away turning so my feet were placed firmly on the ground although I was still sitting.

"I'm fine," I grumbled. The throbbing in my head subsided so I removed it and placed it in my lap. I didn't bother to meet his eyes. I didn't have to, I could feel his concerned gaze on me.

"You can go I'm sure you have plenty to do," I say after a moment of silence when neither of us had bothered to move.

"I miss it too," he replies he leaned forward his forearms resting on his thighs, "Always will in fact,"

I looked at him my eyebrows furrowed in confusion. What was he talking about? "Excuse me?"

He turns to face me his blue eyes meeting mine, "Earth," he leans back against the window letting out a contented sigh.

"I don't miss-"

"Don't lie to yourself," he says cutting me off, "I did that too and it didn't make things any better."

I start to speak again, "I'm not-"

"How was the ceiling last night? How many lines did you count?" I opened my mouth to protest but for once I was at a lost for words. He was right.

After Hannah and Samantha had gone to bed I had laid awake above my covers. I hadn't even bothered to change into the sleepwear provided for us. I closed my mouth and lowered my head.

"Kiera, you can always talk to any of us if you need too," Lance says calmly after a while.

I narrowed my eyes at the suggestion, "No, I don't think I want to talk to any of you," I say in an even tone. Standing up I turned to face him my body tense, "If you know what's best then you won't bring this up again," I hissed before stalking down the hallway.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lance's POV

I sat there a moment longer watching her leave. With the way she was acting and how uptight she was there was no doubt in my mind that something was really bothering her. I shook my head I headed toward the conference room where I was supposed to be five minutes ago.

I slid open the door to the other four paladins staring at me. I crossed the room and sat down in a seat next to Hunk.

Shiro cleared his throat, "Now that we have everyone here we can start," he glanced down at a notepad that had a few notes scribbled on it.

"Um, Shiro?" I waved my hand to get his attention, "Do you think we can postpone the meeting just a little bit? I have something I want to discuss with you guys."

Shiro nodded, "Sure what is it."

"On my way here I came across Kiera she was completely transfixed by the earth. I made a comment and scared her, which I still feel bad about by the way," I say quickly, "any way she turned to me and I could sense something was bothering her. the look in her eyes and she even confirmed it for me that she was homesick."

"Okay, so what can we do to help her?" Hunk asked.

"That's not all. I told her that she could come to talk to any of us if she needed and she appeared mad about something else."

"So we figure out what it is," Pidge said as if the answer was obvious.

"She made it clear she didn't want to talk though," Hunk replied.

"We have to do something," I say starting to sound desperate. No way was I going to allow one of the interns suffer in silence like I had the first time in space just because I thought I wasn't supposed to be missing Earth. Everybody else seemed fine so I kept it to myself fearing I would be viewed as weak.

"We will Lance, but we can't do anything to help her unless we know the full story," Keith said, "That way we know how to help her."

I nodded. I wanted to be able to help her and possibly any of the other interns if they were feeling the same way.

Shiro jotted down a note on his notepad. Probably something about talking to the interns later. No matter what Kiera said about not bringing it up again, this was going to help her.

"Now the next item on our list..." Shiro continued, "Deciding what we're going to do about the Galra battlecruiser that showed up minutes before we launched yesterday."