Chapter 1

The Atlas was busier than usual, as today was the day the five handpicked interns would be arriving. Rooms were being prepared and teams were being briefed on the latest Alien activity in the Milky Way. Security was having background checks on every single guard. Nothing was being overlooked, if you had even a speeding ticket you were removed from the premises then and there.

The former Paladins were all gathered in a conference room off to the side, where they wouldn't be disturb. Their Garrison issued uniforms were freshly pressed the colors bright and bold just as if it was the first time they had put them on.

"When I was looking over the profiles I noticed that the selected few are around our age when we found the blue lion," Pidge said, closing the file that was sitting in front of her. All these years she had kept her hair short, it was nice not having to move it out of the way all the time and even ten years later she was still rocking the look. If you're wondering yes, she still has the glasses on her face. The look just wasn't complete without it.

"I noticed that too," Lance said running a hand through his mocha colored hair, he sighed, "Brings back good memories," he says smiling sadly.

For the first time that day the room seemed to freeze as silence settled over the room. Not a single person spoke as they met one another's eyes sharing a knowing look.

It's been so long...

It had been ten years since the loveable, amazingly heroic Altean had sacrificed herself to save the entire universe. Everyone had mourned the Paladins loss, even those who didn't know her at all. The news of what she had done reached everyone's ears. They not only mourned her death but also celebrated her life and all she had accomplished to bring peace to the universe.

"I remember the first time we met, she practically ripped Lance's arm off," Hunk says chuckling his hand landing firmly on Lance's shoulder. The others chuckled softly at Hunk's comment, the corners of their mouths starting to turn upward,

"If I'm being honest I can still feel it from when she jerked my arm back," he deadpanned rolling his shoulders back.

"That was a joy to watch," Keith says smirking from across the table.

"Watch it mullet,"

"It's not really a mullet anymore..." Pidge mumbled as she ruffled through some papers, which in turn got a laugh from Shiro.

Shiro quickly composed himself suppressing a smirk as he called the former Paladins back to attention.

"Everyone knows which interns are shadowing them, correct?" Shiro asked. He and his team had been working hard for three weeks making sure that everything would go off without a hitch. If it was up to him he would have congratulated everyone already, but he knew that the first phase wouldn't be complete until The Atlas was in space. Getting a large spacecraft to launch was a lot harder than it looked.

Hunk and Pidge nod their heads looking over their files one last time before closing them and handing them to Shiro.

The three of them turn their heads to Keith and Lance. Keith closes his folder a few seconds later handing it to Shiro. Lance sits there a hand resting under his chin.

Pidge cleared her throat, causing Lance to look up to find everyone looking at him with a questioning look in their eyes.

"Sorry I was just rereading, making sure I read everything correctly," he says as he hands the folder to Shiro.

"At least your being smart when it counts, we wouldn't want you to make a fool of yourself," Pidge commented adjusting her glasses.

"No, it wasn't that," Lance replied glaring at Pidge. He stood up adjusting his uniform, "It's something about the intern that's shadowing me," He looks up, "It was just really interesting is all."