Chapter 7

The next couple moons trudged like molasses to Lostpaw, and her training was just stupid!

All Raggedfang did was pun or laugh on her disability. At least I know what hygiene is, Lostpaw wanted to growl at Raggedfang and her dental state.

Sometimes, Tumblefoot, Thunderpaw, Lightyowl, and Dustpaw joined them, but often Raggedfang just "taught" Lostpaw how to fight. Raggedfang's "gentle" fighting methods included the following: unsheathed claws, threats, manipulation, and all this lovely maneuver techniques that Lostpaw couldn't do because of her... condition, as Raggedfang would say. Lostpaw found herself passionately hating Wolfstar for her mentor choice to be Raggedfang.

Only one more life left in her, Lostpaw thought. Then Serpenttail will become leader, by that time I'll be a warrior... And he will HAVE to make me deputy! Then I will begin my Legacy. Loststar's Legacy!

A lot of the time Lostpaw didn't even bother to go hunt with Raggedfang. She'll figure it out someday her crippled apprentice wasn't with her. Lostpaw sighed, gazing at the morning light hitting the mossy floor.

"Lostpaw! Lost-it-y-paws!" Thunderpaw sang, bouncing on her. "Wake up!"

"I'm already up," she grumbled. "What do you want?"

"Lostpaw! Lostpaw! We're going to the Gathering tonight!"

"Really?!" This got Lostpaw up and bolting out of the den. "Thunderbutt, isn't this exciting?"

"Mmm." Thunderpaw purred. "I wonder if ThunderClan's as conceited as everyone says?"

Lostpaw shrugged. "If the drama there is true, what d'ya think?"

"Touche." Thunderpaw grinned at the sky which made Lostpaw purr.

The wind was alight with the flavour of dew and the marsh underfoot was soft, the scents of ShadowClan dashing the air.

Training had been canceled for the day (there was a border fight with RiverClan and many cats were not fit to train their apprentices, including Raggedfang. Lostpaw didn't mind.)

Everything just worked out, today. Parrotfur, the golden-furred queen, had given birth to two little kits, a dark blue-furred she-cat, Rushingkit, and a tiny brown-and-cream tabby tom, Rabbitkit. Maybe I could have kits, if it doesn't interfere with my future leadership of ShadowClan. Lostpaw gave a little purr.

There was no place Lostpaw''d rather be then here, in ShadowClan. Even though her mother and sister shunned her away, the apprentice was in love with everything in the world for a moment and all that dreamed in its pawsteps.

Everything seemed okay.

For now, at least, even though half the Clan ran away in fright whenever they saw Lostpaw, probably because of stupid, stupid Thrushpaw. Lostpaw growled to herself.

"Chillywhiskers WON'T! Chillywhiskers WON'T!"

Lostpaw glanced up. The oldest, and probably weirdest cat in all the Clans, Chillywhiskers, was fighing like a lunatic against a soothing Dashblaze.

"No-no-no, Chillywhiskers." she coaxed softly. "You're going to the Gathering. Won't it be fun?"

"No fun. No fun for Chillywhiskers." murmured Chillywhiskers "No fun. Chillywhiskers."

"Uhh..." Thunderpaw laughed quietly, then whispered, "do you think he knows it's a bit strange to refer to yourself in third- person?"

"Nah, probably not." Lostpaw laughed.

" 'Sup, you guys." mewed a quiet voice from behind.

"Hey, Berrycloud." Thunderpaw waved his tail at the pretty warrior, who'd only been a warrior since this morning along with Fishshadow, Turtleberry, and Aquafrost who just joined Berrycloud.