Chapter 5

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath Tall Pine!"

The kits bounded excitedly under Wolfstar's yowl. Clanmates filtered in from the dens into the silver-splashed morning, smiling at the enthralled kits.

"Today we gather to bring more apprentices into camp-" Wolfstar gazed fondly at the kits. "now... Thunderkit."

Thunderkit dipped his head shyly, taking a step forward to meet Wolfstar.

"...from this moment on, you will be known as Thunderpaw." Thunderbutt! Honeykit purred aloud.

"Tumblefoot, you have shown yourself to be a selfless and loyal warrior. Do all that you can to pass on what you know down to Thunderpaw."

Wolfstar rested her lean silver muzzle on Thunderpaw's head, and he licked her shoulder, then dashed to Tumblefoot, whose warm eyes glowed at the enthusiasm of his apprentice. Honeykit knew her father would be a great mentor, and her friend, a great apprentice.

"Dustkit!" Wolfstar mewed, and Dustkit dipped his head diplomatically.

"From this moment on you will be known as Dustpaw. Lightyowl, you have shown to be a fearless and faithful warrior. Do all you can to pass on what you know down to Dustpaw."

Dustpaw gave an excited squeal, which made the Clan giggle with laughter.

"And Thrushkit. From this moment on you will be know as Thrushpaw. I have decided to take on an apprentice. I will do all I can to pass down what I know to you, Thrushpaw."

Honeykit felt a flicker of pride for her friends, with their amazing mentors. They would obviously make amazing warriors. Not as good as I will, though!

"Thunderpaw! Dustpaw! Thrushpaw!" yowled Wolfstar, and the rest of the Clan erupted into yowls and cheers for the apprentices.

Honeykit howled the names until her throat scratched, even though she was a little jealous Wolfstar'd called them first.

"Honeykit." Wolfstar meowed. Honeykit felt like she wanted to cry as her Clanmate's stares scorched her fur. Don't be such a crybaby! "Yes." She stepped forward.

"I have chosen to rename you."

No! Honeykit knew what this meant, and claws of horror snagged at her stomach. Why her? Why couldn't she just stay Honeypaw? She had always hated her name, Honeykit, it sounded a bit weak, but it had to be better than what Wolfstar was planning. Stumppaw. Nopaw. Stupidpaw. Cripplepaw. She shuddered in horror, fury started to churn in her belly at Wolfstar. Please... No...

"Your new name is Lostpaw." The Clan fell silent and stared at their leader, then at Lostpaw, pity filling their kind gazes. I don't want your pity! The newly-named Lostpaw wanted to scream.

Splashstream, Thunderkit's kind mother, stifled a screech of horrified anger. Lostpaw shot a glance backward at Frozendrop, but Lostpaw's silent plea only reflected itself, not penetrating Frozendrop's cool, amber, unfeeling iron stare.

"Raggedfang-" Wolfstar began.

Lostpaw suddenly choked on her own spit. What? Wolfstar was going to make RAGGEDFANG her mentor?!

The bark-colored she-cat stepped forward, her brown fur matted and burred, stinking, and Lostpaw tried not to wrinkle her nose at Raggedfang's scent and crooked, stained, yellow teeth. Thunderpaw, who was beside Lostpaw gave a barely-audible squeal of terror.

"--You have proven to be a..." Wolfstar paused awkwardly. Lostpaw suppressed a smile, even Wolfstar had trouble finding nice things to say about Raggedfang.