Prologue

A brief overview of season 1

The MRD (Mutant Registration) are trying to capture all mutants, under the remit of Senator Kelly.

For personal reasons, Wolverine leaves the X-Men for a while, making Rogue mad at him. As he's saying his goodbyes, the mansion blows up.

A year later the MRD's persecution of mutants and human sympathisers is getting out of hand, but all the X-Men have disbanded. Wolverine retuens and tries to put them back together. Xavier and Jean are both missing though and a still angry Rogue joins the Brotherhood instead. Emma Frost joins the X-Men as their new psychic.

Xavier is finally found but he is in a coma, though he can talk to them from 20 years in the future. He warns that the MRD's sentinels have won the war and that both humans and mutants have been crushed by the robots.

Half way through the series, Rogue finally reveals why she joined the Brotherhood, because when she absorbed Toad, she could see that Magneto had something big planned. The X-Men don't trust her but when the Brotherhood attacks them (as Rogue tried to warn them) they believe her and accept her back into the fold.

Remy is a mercenary for hire. First he steals a power suppression collar from the X-Men for the MRD to replicate. Wolverine follows his scent and convinces him to help get the collar back (for twice his original fee). Later Remy sets bombs on Genosha (Magneto's "mutant haven") for Senator Kelly, which disrupt water, power and telecoms. To gain access, he flirts with Magneto's youngest daughter, Lorna. He is imprisoned for almost kissing Lorna but she agrees to free him if he takes her away from the island with him. He agrees, but reneges on his deal when they get to the boat, telling her that he's not the man she thinks he is.

Angel, who is seeing Storm, breaks his wings in a bad fall and his mutant hating father tells the doctors to remove them, rather than try to heal the breaks. Angel is bereft without them and accepts Sinister's offer of new, artificial wings, which come with the undisclosed addition of mind control. Now called Archangel, he is one of Sinister's minion and an enemy to the X-Men.

Jean is found with amnesia towards the end of the season. She (or rather, the Phoenix) blew the mansion apart when she was psychically attacked by the Hellfire club. Xavier discovers that the war is triggered by the Phoenix, and they must stop Jean/Phoenix from creating a second, even bigger explosion.

The Hellfire club (of which Emma is revealed to be a part of) want the Phoenix's powers for themselves and in trying to psychically harness her power, they will be the cause of the second catastrophic explosion. Emma thought they were going to destroy the Phoenix and changes sides to help the X-Men. She ends up absorbing the Phoenix into herself to save Jean, but the power of it shatters her diamond form, killing both Emma and the Phoenix.

By the end of the series, the future that Charles lives in has changed and the sentinels are no longer in charge. However, now it is Apocalypse who rules, and the X-Men must stop him from coming to power.