Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Remy gazed in shock at the scene before him.

"Mon Dieu!"

"Yes," the professor said, where he 'stood' beside him,

"Sinister really did all this?" In all the time he had worked for Sinister, he had never expected something on this scale. That Sinister could enslave the world, that everyone was literally under his rule was more than frightening, it was truly terrifying.

"Well yes, with a little help from Apocalypse."

"Who is this Apocalypse fellow?" Remy asked, still hardly able to comprehend the changed world before him; the crowd all seemed to have been hypnotised to worship a couple of second rate egomaniacs.

"I'm still trying to find that out myself. Unfortunately, all documentation and information here is courtesy of this new regime, and they guard their Master's secrets well."

"Does the Thieves' Guild still exist?" Remy asked.

"I can't say that I know. Why?"

"If there's one thing we know, it's that knowledge is power. We know how to acquire it, how to archive it, and how to hide it."

"You think they might have kept a record of events?"

"If they still exist, they'll have recorded what they know. 'Course, what they know might not be helpful," he finished with a shrug. "But if that's the case, I'm damn sure they can steal what you want to know for you."

Charles smiled. "Thank you or the tip, I will see if they are receptive to helping us."

"They will be," Remy assured him. "I'm a prince of the Thieves' Guild, I'll leave word that you are un proche conseiller, a trusted advisor, that way even if I'm gone, there'll be a record of you and they won't turn you away."

"Thank you, Remy, I appreciate it."

"No problem."

The scene before them disappeared, to be replaced by the white nothingness that Remy had been told was the astral plain.

"Now, about your psychic blocks, Jean has explained everything to me and I believe I can help."

"You can fix my mind?"

"Not from where I am, but Jean is a talented psychic and with my guidance, I believe we can help you. From what she has told me though, it will be a long process, requiring perhaps up to four days."

Remy didn't do well at sitting still for too long but if it meant freedom, then he could live with it. Besides, this room wasn't the med lab, so he didn't feel overly anxious in here.

The following day found Remy lying on a couch that had been moved into Charles' room, trying to daydream some of the tedium away, while Jean wormed her way inside his head. Ordinarily he'd lightly charge some cards to stave off boredom, but right now he was wearing the inhibitor collar so that they could get into his head.

He sighed but tried to keep it quiet, these people were trying to help him, after all and he didn't want to seem ungrateful. Of course, that didn't stop him from being bored out of his skull.

Remy just wasn't used to inaction, it wasn't his style.

There had been a time when Remy used to day dream, occupying his time only with whatever lazy thoughts floated through his mind. That had all changed after Sinister though, after all who wanted to be alone with the memories he now had? It was like being alone with a monster, only when you were the monster, you couldn't even leave to get away. The only way to live with what he'd done was to keep occupied, keep busy, never stop, never slow down, constantly searching for the next distraction.