Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

Rogue didn't need to wonder what the weight on her waist was this morning and she smiled as she turned to face him.

"You're making quite a habit of taking liberties with my person, Cajun."

"Sorry." He looked anything but.

"You shouldn't do it all the time though," she said, turning serious. "It's dangerous."

"I'm fine so far."

"But our luck can't last."

"I took precautions," he assured her, pulling the quilt up from the bottom of the bed and raising a leg so that she could see his feet. "I even wore socks to bed, do you have any idea what that information would do to my reputation?"

Rogue laughed, despite herself.

"Damn you, Remy. Why is it that you can just push your way through all my objections? You turn me into some kind of foolish girl who can't think for herself."

Though her words had been in jest, they sobered him.

"I don't mean to change you, Rogue. I..." He couldn't finish that sentence. He wasn't even sure he wanted to.

"I'm just joshing with ya, Gambit."

"I know," he said, finding a smile from somewhere. "Well, I'd better get ready I guess. I don't want to keep the professor and Jean waiting."

"Speaking of, how did it go yesterday, I didn't get a chance to ask."

"Boring," he confessed. "But they finally got the blocks down. Today we're starting to rebuild them, so I get to be a little involved."

"Have fun."

The day was actually a lot more interesting than the day before. This time he was on the astral plain with them and had to visualise a lot of things. First he had to visualise the different aspects of his power, the healing factor, his bio-kinetic charge, his kinetic-psychic field, his empathy and his hypnotic charm. Once that was done, he had to visualise the different levels of his bio-kinetic charge.

Remy pictured fuel sources, ranging from matches and coal (light charges) and all the way up to a nuclear reactor. With that done, he and Jean then set about erecting mental barriers around the largest and most dangerous levels of his power, while the professor advised them.

Over the next three days they locked away the three highest levels of his bio-kinetic charge, locking each barrier behind the next mental shiels, like mental russian dolls. For different levels, Remy visualised huge steel doors, 5 meter thick concrete walls and locks that even he would have trouble picking.

Each barrier was linked to an important memory and it didn't escape Jeans notice that of the four, two memories were about Rogue. The other two were of his family; the day they had found him and taken him in, and the day he had finally felt that they loved him.

At the end of the first day, once the professor had left and Remy and Jean were back on solid ground, Remy got up to leave when Jean took hold of hid arm.

"Remy, I know this is a terrible invasion of privacy and rest assured, no one else will ever know what I saw in your mind, but I have to speak to you about Rogue."

"What about her?"

"You love her."

Remy shrugged. "Don't change anything."

"Just because you can't touch, doesn't mean that you can't be together."

Remy gave her a wry smile. "That'd be one mockery of a marriage though, wouldn't it?"