Chapter : Six - Distress

Chapter : Six – Distress [Laurell Snow]

Hearing the police walk around outside my office door I sighed in distress. Ebony was alive. Why was she alive? Cassandra had told me that she was dead! That thieving, lying witch, had told me to my face that my step-daughter was dead! Dead! Was she? No. And what had it been in that box? A pig's heart.

A PIG'S HEART!

As I hissed out a breath of rage, I stood and turned to look out my window. The stupid pigs were taking too long looking over Charles' death. It was obvious to them that Charles had died a natural death. So why couldn't they leave and let me get on when what I needed to do! But no, I had to stay here, even though I had been questioned, as I had been the first to see Charles dead and had called the pigs in.

If I'd known just how long they were going to take, I wouldn't have called them. Leaving the smell of death to rot through the vents until someone else explored. But that would take too long and I would be questioned as to why I hadn't searched for my husband. And that would have lead to more questions.

Clenching my jaw, I glared at my reflection as I wondered how Ebony Snow was fairer than I. I couldn't see it. Yet my pool had said it true. Ebony Snow was still fairer. But how?! Turning away from the City, I sat back down and took a deep breath. I needed to be upset, not angry.

As I let my anger go, for now, I was glad I had started to calm myself down when my office door opened. Calling upon my tears that rose at will, I knew I looked like a mess. But right now, that was what was needed. A wife to be in distress and agony over her husbands death. Stupid police couldn't tell how well they were being played. It was just the way I wanted them.

"Mrs?" a human male called as he stood in the doorway that was only open enough for him to put his head through. I saw him wince at my appearance. "You can go home now, mrs, we're going to shut this floor off for tonight and tomorrow if that's okay."

I frowned. "Why tomorrow?"

"I'm not sure, mrs, it's just what I've been told to tell you. I apologise for any inconveniences this will cause."

"No, no, you must do what you must..." I paused. "I need to think... No. I need..."

"Is there anyone that I can call for you, mrs?"

"No, no, I'll be fine. I just need to rest, I think. Thank you."

After giving me a final once over, he closed the door behind him.

I rolled my eyes. So easy. I really needed to find... a couple of stubborn were's popped into my mind. They would do just fine. But first, I needed to find out where Ebony was. And then once Ebony was dealt with, I had Cassandra the traitorous Bitch to finish.

It didn't take long to drive back to Charles and my estate that looked like a home from a magazine. Oh, wait, it was. This house had been on many front pages. Pulling into the garage, I didn't bother with the security to lock everything up. And five minutes later, I was entering my room of marble and mirrors.

Pulling my power and spreading it throughout the room, the screams were twists of agony and pleasure, but I didn't care, focusing it all on the bowl, I asked my question. "Magic water in my pool, where is the fairest of them all?"

A house on the side of a mountain appeared. Several stories tall, it was a grey were there wasn't wall windows. And there was Ebony Snow. Standing in front of... was that the White Pack? The White Pack who had protected Princess Sleip from Jacqueline Lyve, the angel who not even the Archangel's crossed all those years ago?

Everyone knew of the famous White Pack of wolves that had gained seven fairies in their attempt to protect the Princess from the curse Jacqueline had placed upon her at birth. The curse being that the king's daughter would touch a flame on her fifteenth birthday and fall down dead. It had been said that it had been Sadb, the fairy of blessing that had countered the curse, saying that the Princess would not die by touching the flame, but fall asleep for one hundred years instead. Then it had been said that the fairies had paid the wolves to protect them by saying that the Princess would marry one of them as one of them was the Princess's mate. After that, they had disappeared. Never to be seen again. Even after they had promised to return fifteen years later on the Princess's birthday to be reunited with her parents.

Yet, here they were. I saved the information in my mind for if I ever truly need help from Jacqueline who'd been searching for the Princess since her disappearance.

Committing the image of the house and landscape to memory, I walked out of my mirror room and grabbed a pencil and paper, sketching what I had seen to the best of my ability. I would need Jacqueline's help on finding the house. The house was clearly hidden by magic. It must have been for seven fairies, seven wolves, and maybe a human to stay hidden there for so long.

Picking up my phone, I dialled Jacqueline's number. "Jacqueline, I need to pull in a favour you owe me..."

Vote? Comment? Thanks!