Chapter : Ten - Free Will

Chapter : Ten – Free Will [Ebony Snow]

Dere had soon disappeared after proving to me that I wouldn't be able to leave. Talk about free will! Damn wolf-man-thing! It was about an hour later, after people coming and going, that I was then alone with Soule. The Omega wolf. He was sat on the floor with his chin on his knees that he had tucked into him and his arms wrapped around him.

Sliding onto the ground next to him, I stared as I saw the surprise on his face, before he then went to lay on the ground. It was then that I noticed that, whenever he could, he always made himself smaller than everyone else. Everyone else sat on the sofa, he sat on the floor. And earlier, I hadn't thought much of it then, but when Aoife had sat on the floor with an ipad, Soule had moved to lay down.

Grabbing his arm before he could move too far away, he froze, but moved as I tugged him into sitting again. Looping my arm through his, we sat there watching a random comedy show that had started around ten minutes ago. It wasn't until the break that I spoke, asking my question.

"Soule?"

"Yes?" came the shy, immediate reply.

"What's a mate to a werewolf?"

He blinked at me before quickly lowering his eyes. "Alpha Dere is better at explaining."

"Yeah, but he's being a jerk," I replied, I rolled my eyes when he gave me wide eyes before looking away again. "Can you explain it to me?"

He gave a slow nod. "I can try."

I grinned at him, and with that, I felt some tension from his shoulders leave him. "Alpha Dere told you that we have more than one mate. That's the truth. But... It's still very rare that we find our mates. We've been alive for nearly two and a half centuries, but only Ragne found his mate, and she's been asleep for most of that–"

Uh... What? I hadn't heard about that. Had I? If I had, I didn't remember it. "No, wait, back up. Nearly two and a half centuries?" I blinked.

Soule nodded. "We live for a long time."

"No kidding. Sorry, what were saying before I interrupted you?"

"It's rare finding your mate, and having your true mate..." Soule no longer seemed to be staring at the T.V. but into his own dream world. "I'd give anything to have my true mate with me..." He blinked. "A mate is made for you, just as we're made for our mate."

So Dere was made to be a jerk? For me? Oh, well, oh joys! Not. I mentally hit myself then. Dere was sweet when he wanted to be. I reminded myself of the concern in his eyes, the way he'd come over after I'd touched the door to make sure that I was okay. Damn it, why did I remind myself of that! I didn't want to think of things like that, things like that would keep me here.

A knock on the front door interrupted my thoughts. Looking over at Soule, I saw that he was frowning. "Shall we see who it is?"

"Do you want to?" Soule asked. And I realised that if I wanted out, all I had to do was ask Soule, and he'd let me. But then what would Dere do to Soule? I shook my head mentally, but nodded physically to Soule.

Both getting up, we wondered over to the door. Soule opened the door, and on the other side stood a saleswoman.

The lady grinned. "Hi! My name's Laru, I was wondering if you'd be interested in some solar panels to help save the earth? I've found that this is a perfect location for the sun's rays to–"

"Do you have a leaflet?" I interrupted, knowing how salesmen and women could talk you're ear off. "I don't own the place but I would be happy to pass the information onto the owner."