Chapter 14

I'm either stupid or suicidal. I should probably know the answer by now. I'm going to go with neither. I can't run or hide from her. The only thing that keeps pounding in my head everyday is revenge. She killed Mom and little part of me. I desperately want her to pay.

It's been gnawing at me ever since Mom's funeral. I've never mentioned it to anyone in case they thought I was crazy or tried to stop me. I can't let her get away with what she did. She killed her own sister for her selfish gain. She broke my family. I had a mother, a uncle, a cousin, and happiness. Now that's in shambles. I hate her for it.

Mara turns her cold eyes onto me. Her gray eyes narrow at the sight of me. I give her a glare that radiates all the hate, anger, and pain she caused me. I see her eyes widen a bit at my gaze. Yet she doesn't falter in the slightest.

"Just the person I was looking for," Mara snarls.

"Oh really? Why me? I don't have what you want," I tell her.

"I know. Your just my bargaining tool," Mara says.

"Tough luck. I'm not going to be roped into your selfish game. I know who you are and what you are after. I can't believe you would kill your own sister for something so trivial," I say.

"Family means nothing to me. Killing Teresa was just a means to an end. I'll have no remorse killing Ted or you," Mara says.

"Good to know. Now I can kick your ass without feeling bad about it," I say.

Mara looks at me with an unreadable expression. I see her lips quirk into something like a smile. The expression on her face is that of amusement. Soon her laughter vibrates through my entire being.

"You defeat me? Are you that stupid? Look little Wayne. You'll never beat me. I don't care how much training that brother of mine has given you. It won't matter at all. You might as well give yourself up right now," Mara says.

"Not a chance," I spit back.

"Oh well, your choice," Mara says.

Mara pulls out her blade. It's the same katana that killed my mother. She takes out another one and tosses it at my feet. My eyes meet hers. Why would she give me a weapon?

"Look if your going to fight me at least be armed. That'll make capturing or killing you a bit more challenging. I assume he taught you how to use it. So do it little Wayne," Mara commands.

I'm getting tired of her referring to me as "little Wayne." I'm not a Wayne, I'm a Crest. I narrow my eyes at Mara while picking up the sword. It feels not to heavy but not to light. It's a sturdy blade. Has seen combat before but not hard to work with. This isn't a hindrance or a help. It's a fair blade.

I raise the sword in a defensive position that I was taught. Even if I knew it or not I was still trained to be a fighter. I've been doing this since I was four years old. I've had lessons that none of my classmates at the dojo have ever received. I know every vital spot on the human body.

I have to wonder if this wasn't Mom's plan from the beginning. Did she train me to be just like her? A assassin. Or did she want me to be able to protect myself against them? Could she have seen me facing off against Mara or any other enemy she may have once had? I can't help but wonder. There's so many secrets that she kept from me. I can only imagine she wanted me to have a normal life like she couldn't have.

At first I don't hear Mara's attack. Only when she is a inch away from me that I block her strike. She's quite fast and nimble. I can definitely tell that she spends a lot of time training with her katana. I on the other hand have only had a couple instances of training with weapons such as a katana. I steady myself with a counter. She easily blocks my sword.