03 || Scavenge Junk

Reader's POV

I am getting so tired of the bike I have sitting outside the house. That thing is embarrassing to ride on at this age. I really need the Corvette to start running again or find a vehicle with a decent price. But I can't find the money or the car at the moment because I have to get to work at the carnival. I work the 'Hot Dog on a Stick' stand in a funky red, blue, white, and yellow uniform while preparing snacks and making homemade orange juice in a bucket. I think anyone who wore it would die of embarrassment because I stick out like a sore thumb to all who pass by me.

Gotta say, it's a nice day out, and too bad I ain't enjoying it by myself... I could be sipping on a lemonade with a pair of sunglasses on my face.

Today is a stressful say today because of one thing and another... A car! And also because I really hate this job but it's better than nothing. To start off my shift, I grabbed a tray full of drinks and snacks to take outside to the tables by the Ferris Wheel, and at the corner of my eye was the Churro man who worked across the walkway from me. I didn't pay much attention to him. 

"Excuse me, " He said. "We never actually met--"

"Sorry, I really can't right now," I told him, still walking with the drinks in my hand while keeping my balance. 

(Should I have Memo stay Memo or change him into 'Y/C'? Meaning Your Crush? Comment below.)

(Jan 15th, 2022. Guys, I'm sorry I even mentioned that ⬆😂)

That guy who tried to stop me isn't that bad and I would like to get to know him but I have better things to do right now. As I continue on with my job, someone from my right called out, "Hey, hotdog girl!" I shifted my attention in that direction and suddenly felt a force on me. I ran into one of the most attractive young men that live around here.

The drinks spilled on his torso and myself as the girls he was with exclaimed rudely. "Oh, my God!" I shouted. "I'm so sorry. Oh, God."

And then the bullying began. "Someone's getting fired~." A blond girl sang. I looked down trying to not make eye contact as I clean up the mess.

Another girl adds in, her name is Tina. "If I had to wear that, I would pray to be fired." She chuckled.

A third girl laughed. "Good one, Tina."

The man I spilled the drinks on slipped off his crimson shirt and I am unsure if he accidentally flicked it in my face. He said it was time to go and the girls were already following behind him like lost puppies. One of the preppy girls dropped their corndog on the nasty tray I picked up and gave me little exclamations in a menacing way. I can't believe I embarrassed myself in front of someone who is decent looking! And I don't even like him...

After my shift, I got back on the bike to go to the junkyard to scavenge more car parts since I am planning to fix up the Corvette in my garage. It's called Hank's Marine Repair and Parts. It's where I would go in my spare time and stay away from home. I figured since I may not get a car for my birthday I might as well go here to get the supplies I need. When I walked in, Uncle Hank was busy working on his antenna radio. "Hey, Uncle Hank." I greeted in my casual clothing. A shirt underneath a grease monkey vest and shorts.

"You still working on that damn car?" He asked not making eye contact.

"You still working on that damn personality?" I replied to him. "What have you got for me?"

"Whatever you want." Says Hank. "Russians are gonna blow us all the hell away." He said, still trying to fix the radio.

I grabbed a toolbox from beside his desk. "Hey, kid." One of his employees said from a car he was fixing up in the garage. "Hand me three-eighths, would you?"

I stopped and see what he was working on. "You working on the carburetor?" I asked turning to his tools and grabbing the correct one for him. "You need the half-inch," I said, handing him the tool and walking out of the garage.

"I said three--" The tool fits perfectly. "Thanks, kid!"

"Yep!" I hollered back.

I discovered a blue crate that I might use to store my finds while searching the yard for car components. The first thing that catches my attention is an old, dilapidated boat close to two others. I took a piece from that junk, but it wasn't any good, so I returned it to the old watercraft and got off the boat. I suppose the force of my jump caused the boat to rock to one side, which in turn caused the other boats next to it to rock as well. When the final boat finished falling, I heard a thump.

A vehicle was hidden below a tarp that had been slightly torn off. I pull back the sheet to properly see what it is—a brilliant yellow Volkswagen Beetle collecting dirt and insects. I peered inside as I opened the door and saw dirt, dead leaves, and a few bees. Then I noticed an odd symbol in the center of the wheel. I adjusted the rearview mirror while remaining composed in my seat and grinning widely. "This is beautiful," I whispered.

When I laid eyes on the keys, I was filled with great hope. Once I turned the beetle on, the engine stuttered as I attempted to start it because I was so thrilled and hopeful. The radio also produced some odd noises. "Ah, no. Come on!" I try again and the engine still sputtered, but I know I can start it up again by using my 'magic'.

I wanted more time with this car. Unfortunately, I had to get out because a few of the bees are infesting the inside and I didn't want to stick around too long. Quickly, I shut the door, grab my things, and go back to Hank in the garage with a wad of cash and car parts I found. "I'll give you thirty bucks for all these parts," I say to him.

Hank chuckled at me. "I can get twice that much for the coil alone."

"From who?" I asked. "I'm the only one that comes in here. I don't even know how you're still open." I smiled at him.

Hank wasn't in the mood to speak to anyone so he let me take the parts for free. "Just take it. Go, go. My show is on." He said picking up the radio, still tampering with it.

I pick up my crate of car parts and attempt to leave the yard. As I walk out of the garage, I called back to Hank. "Hey, where did you get that beetle?"

Hank didn't answer me, but he spoke to himself. "I swear to God, ever since they put up that dumbass tower I can't get a signal to watch my shows! I've got to see what happens to Alf this week."

I wasn't going to get an answer from him at this very moment, so I left in hopes to try him again another time. 

My bike got me home safely, though and I brought in the parts from the junkyard to bring into my garage and work on my Dad's Corvette. Ever since he passed away, I have been working on it and hardly took a break. There isn't a day I stop thinking about him and I have the greatest desire to see him, hear, and feel him again...

Now that I am underneath this car, I am putting all of my efforts into it and hope that it starts up. I've waited so long and I am running out of patience. "Come on!!" I barked loudly in frustration. "Are you kidding me?!" Ugh! The part I got for it didn't work! I came out from under my father's car and tossed the tool aside, hearing it clatter along the floor. "Damn it!"

Sighing deeply, I stare up at the garage ceiling as if my father's face was there. I wish he was here to help me and every day I feel alone even with my family here in this house. "I give up... I can't do this without you, Dad." I covered my face with my palms, feeling the tears tease my eyes.

I gave up on my Dad's old Corvette for tonight and went inside to find my mom, brother, and stepdad laughing on the couch while they watched TV and ate dinner. I'm happy that my mother found someone to keep her happy and she's moving on well, but I haven't moved on. Mom and I used to be so close and since Dad died, I have distanced myself from her and a piece of me feels guilty. Are my feelings valid...?