District Five - Reaping

It's cloudy today, but warm, and still bright. The sort of day the citizens of five would have liked to have been outdoors in - had today not been the reaping. A few stop and face skyward, wishing for maybe a light drizzle. It's been dry, and they miss the rain.

As the gathering in the square grows larger, the mayor walks up, yawning widely. He looks like he got out of bed only a few minutes ago, although everyone knows it was Flodderth, arriving a day early like he always does, keeping the mayor's family and their neighbors awake all night.

The mayor stumbles though the speech, rubbing his eyes. He's annoyed at his father for retiring a year after Flodderth's assignment to district five - he could've gone another five years. He could've waited until his son turned thirty. He reads the past victor's names out, and calls one of them up to be the mentor.

Cathalina Ivy Sylverstar stands up to applause here and there. Her games are by far one of the most famous, although no one has been allowed into the arena, on past head gamemaker Jack Grant's orders. The entire event is shrouded in mystery; a rumor has passed around Panem, one stating that in an effort to end the games, Jack sent in muttations of each tribute. These muttations were said to have taken out all tributes except Cathalina (Or Ivy, as she perfers to go by), and have been living in the arena ever since.

Someone even bothered to write a book about it, but the story has been passed around by mouth for so long, no one is sure what is true and what is false. Someone claimed they were from district fourteen, a district that speciallizes in identity theft.

That theory didn't last very long.

All Ivy knows is they were bloody, and she barely made it out alive. She shivers just thinking about the arena.

Flodderth interupts this recollection, telling her off for still standing when they are on national television. He then proceeds to give a big, cheesy, and completely fake smile to the camera.

"Let's start this reaping!" he turns clumsily, almost running into the mayor. "Watch it!" hisses the escort, as though the mayor is the one to blame.

Pulling out a slip from the girls bowl, he calls out, "Arianna Jent!"

There is a moment of silence, and then a girl from near the front, around the seventeens, heads up onstage. Arianna says nothing, surveying the situation warily, and taking a moment to give Flodderth a look of distaste. The man looks like he jumped into a vat of neon green and pink paint.

Before there is time to react to Arianna's reaping, the boy's name is being announced.

"Xadrian Lorizz" Flodderth drags out the 'zz' at the end, and the boy exiting the eighteen pens scowls. He takes the steps a few at a time, still scowling at his escort.

"Xadrian." muses Flodderth, "Strange name." he doesn't say it quietly enough.

"You're one to talk." says Xadrian, "Flodderth. Did your parents simply mesh together the worst sounds they could find and call it a name?"

Flodderth gives him a glare, and Xadrian glares right back. Arianna watches them carefully. Xadrian could be a bit of a threat, and it's obvious Flodderth won't help them in the slightest.

Flodderth tells them to shake hands, annoyed, and glaring at the idiot boy who insulted his name. It's unique. Why does he have to keep telling people? Let's see how well you do without my help... he thinks, marching off the stage before everyone else.

"Don't mind him." says Ivy tiredly. "You may have noticed he does that a lot."

Xadrian scowls, still in a bad mood. He had noticed.