District Nine - Reaping

In District nine the day is hot, hot enough to scorch the tops of the crops. The people fan themselves as they enter the square. The kids gathering are none to anxious to be stuck as close together as they will be, but they climb into the pens nonetheless. The crowd is almost silent, aside from a few whispers between friends, and parents to their children.

The mayor clears his throat into the mic, and the attention is brought to the stage. The rustles of paper, of cloth, of anything the citizens can use to fan themselves can still be heard, although no one speaks a word. There's not a point, really, it'll only tire them out.

As he starts the speech, there are a few yawns; this weather has that effect on people. The escort, Delilah, has nearly fallen asleep on the shoulder of one of the victors. It's so hot out here, and the way the mayor reads the speech is so boring...

The camera operator waves her hand, almost knocking over her camera in the process. Delilah spots it, although the mayor doesn't. She stands up, shoving him off just as he gets to explaining when District thirteen was destroyed.

"Hello Panem!" she calls, ignoring the mayor's protests and addressing the Capitol. They really don't have time for someone who takes that long. Although this is the farthest he's ever gotten.

"Let's reap the girl, shall we?" She smiles to the camera, avoiding the eyes of the crowd as she walks over to the bowl. She's been here five years, and still can't get used to how different this place is from the Capitol.

She clears her throat, pulling a name out of the bowl and saying it out loud. She's forgotten to move back to the mic, but in the silence her voice carries through the square. "Scythe Blunt!"

There's a moments pause, then a girl slips out of the fourteens pen, head held high as she makes her way onstage. She knows she should say something, something to make people remember her, but nothing comes to mind. Nothing that everyone else hasn't already said. So she just gives a smile to the camera, although it doesn't reach her eyes.

She'll make it. She knows she can.

Delilah notices her playing with the bracelet on her wrist as she says, "Boys next," this time into the mic. She wonders what it's from, but doesn't ask. That what the interviews are for, after all.

"Orion Hunt!"

Another pause, then someone sighs in defeat. Orion makes his way out of the thirteen pens, pushing curly blond hair from his face. He slips a small metal object into his pocket- a lot of good luck it brought him today. He takes his place onstage, almost resigned to death already. He completely ignores the microphone when it's given to him, instead looking at his feet and ignoring the building fear. 

Delilah shrugs. She's got one fighter at least, she's sure. That should help a little when it comes to sponsors... She tells the two to shake hands absentmindedly, already planning. Their last names rhyme, there's got to be an idiot who will sponsor them because of that...

When they make eye contact, Orion is surprised by the amount of determination in Scythe's gaze. She's not going down without a fight...

Then neither should he. He'll give it his all.

Not that that's much to give.

Someone whispers at the back of the stage, and the attention turns to the victors. There's two of them onstage, arguing about something. One is a young girl, maybe sixteen or seventeen, and the other is a woman who is into her thirties. "Kharissa..." whines the girl, her clenched fist resting on the palm of her hand.

The woman, Kharissa, scowls. "Fine," she mutters, forming a fist with her hand and facing the girl.

Her next words surprise the district, and causes Delilah and a few others to laugh. The young girl clears her throat, saying, "Rock, paper, scissors!"

Kharissa has kept her hand as a fist, while her opponent has flatted hers. She looks up at Kharissa, saying with a straight face, "Paper beats rock."

Without another word, Kharissa stands and heads into the Justice Building. The tributes watch her in silence, before following her inside.

Delilah smiles as she enters the doors. What a odd district... she thinks.

She'll never get used to it.