Chapter 12

I will be giving away FREE copies of the paperback version of Element Wielder to a few people from my e-mail newletter. I will raffle out from my list of suscribers.

Chapter 12

Falcon admired the small cherry blossom trees that decorated both sides of the dirt path. Their green leaves stood out from the bright red flowers that covered the trees.

“The honey aroma they emit is lovely, isn’t it?” said Aya, noting Falcon’s obvious interest. “Do you know how they got here?”

Falcon took in the sweet aroma of the flowers. “No, I can’t say I do.”

“Legend tells that thousands of years ago a young man and a young woman fell in love against the will of her parents. The jungle became their private sanctuary, where they would meet every full moon under the moon’s glow. The lovers were happy with their nights together, but their happiness didn’t last.”

“What happened?” asked Falcon, surprised at his own interest in the story.

“One night the moon did not come out. Without the moon’s light, the young woman lost her way and was killed by a savage beast. For his lost love the young man planted cherry blossoms along the road that connected Ladria to the Jugtunga jungle. It was his way to ensure that such a tragedy wouldn’t happen again. In honor of their love, the cherry blossoms in Ladria now emit a red-and-pink glow at night.”

“That’s a bunch of nonsense,” Lao cried out, flicking a branch at Chonsey.

“I wouldn’t be too sure,” said Aya. “Cherry blossoms can be found everywhere in Va’siel; yet, only those in Ladria glow at night.”

Lao responded with a shrug of indifference.

Regardless of their origin, Falcon was glad to have them. They provided some much-needed shade from the hot sun.

Chonsey wiped the sweat from his forehead. “Why do they have to hold the trials so far from the academy? It’s such a long trip. I can’t take it.”

“Be glad only the first part of the trial is in the jungle,” said Aya. “Then we’ll be back at the academy.” The long walk did not seem to bother her in the slightest. She hummed as she plucked a cherry from a nearby tree.

“I’m just glad to get off campus for a while,” said Lao with a grin. “This is what I was made for, going out into the world and making a name for myself. Lao-Chan Keen, the greatest wielder in the land.”

Falcon laughed. “Well, great one, don’t get too ahead of yourself. You still have to pass the trials.” Like his friend, Falcon was glad to be away from Rohad grounds, albeit for different reasons. He enjoyed the freedom of not having a professor hovering over him, especially Professor Kraimaster, whose personal goal had been to make Falcon’s life miserable for the past five years.

Chonsey threw up his hands. “Yes, mates. We’re finally here, and not a minute too soon. I was about to pass out.” He dropped to the grassy ground with a soft thump.

All the other students were already at the jungle entrance. They stood huddled in groups of four, no doubt going over strategies. Even the younger students who would not be competing were in attendance. They sat on the wet grass, cross-legged, waiting for the competitions to begin.

Falcon shivered; everything from the dark vines, to the gnarled old trees, to the eerie silence that emitted from the jungle exuded menace.

“You and your misfits have no chance of victory,” came a voice from behind.