Chapter 15

Hello, Thank you for reading. PLease don't forget to vote and leave your comments.

CHAPTER 15

The coliseum was filled to capacity. The smell of the baked bread the vendors sold through the stands filled his nostrils, causing his stomach to growl. The last time Falcon remembered the coliseum this packed was a lifetime ago, when his brother defeated Mathias.

Once again the emperor turned out for the occasion. Even from the far back side of the coliseum, where all the hopeful Rohads waited, Falcon made out his bright-green robe. No doubt he would be Hiromy’s loudest supporter.

The announcer, a tall man with a large build, strutted to the middle of the sun-soaked arena.

“Silence, please.” His oversized white mustache danced as he spoke. “The following is a one-on-one battle between two potential graduates. The rules are simple. Element wielding is allowed; additionally, each fighter is allowed a weapon of their choosing.” The announcer took a breath. “The person who makes their opponent yield to them will be declared the winner. Contestants at the ready!”

Falcon’s heart pounded as he picked at his fingernail. He hoped nothing more than to be called up first.

The announcer continued. “The first match of the day will be between Chonsey Meloth and Delita Norrington.”

With a loud “Yes!” Delita raised his fist in the air. He took large, confident strides to the middle of the arena, leaving a cloud of dust behind him. Laars and Putin cheered him on.

Chonsey, to the contrary, remained frozen in place next to Falcon, his face unnaturally pale. 

“Chonsey Meloth? Where is Chonsey Meloth?” asked the announcer.

No one stepped up.

The announcer let out an exaggerated sigh. “I said where is Chonsey Meloth?”

“Go on, Chonsey. Just do your best,” said Falcon.

Chonsey staggered forward, trembling like a warthog headed for the slaughterhouse.

Delita signaled Chonsey forward. “C’mon, dwarf. You think we have all day?”

“You can do it!” cheered Aya.

As much as Falcon wanted his friend to win, he doubted he would. Delita was too big. He easily weighed four times what Chonsey did. It didn’t help that Chonsey wasn’t much of a fighter either. Falcon knew his small friend would rather spend his afternoons painting a canvas than in a confrontation.

The announcer stepped between both wielders. “No excessive attacks; just do enough to defeat your opponent. Is that understood?”

“Yes,” answered both wielders. Chonsey’s voice sounded more like a whimper than a shout.

“Begin!”

Chonsey twirled his staff. A faint, blue glow started from atop his weapon and crept down.

“He’s water wielding too slow,” said Lao, pointing out what was obvious to everyone.

With shaky hands, Chonsey continued spinning his staff. Delita rushed and slammed into Chonsey, who flew through the air like a cloth doll and crashed to the ground.

“Get up, midget,” growled Delita. “I’m not done having fun with you just yet.”

“You can do it, Chonsey,” said Falcon. “Get up.” He wasn’t sure if his encouragement had done the trick, but his friend rose to his feet. His shirt and pants were now dirt brown. With loud breaths, Delita ducked and rushed Chonsey once more.