Chapter 32

Have a great weekend, everyone!!!

--------------

Chapter 32

The stars were already out when Falcon finally marched into the training field with his army. Setting his men free in a capital city turned out to be a bad idea. Most of the men did not show up at the meeting place at sundown as agreed. He had spent most of the evening searching the city for them. He found a few sleeping at the inn, a few others in the local pubs, and others he found roaming the Sandoria flea market.

Dozens of other armies had already set up camp. Most of the men huddled in groups, keeping warm around small fires. A few of them passed the time playing games of elemental cards and Meiji. The sound of raised voices filled the air, creating a din of unrecognizable commotion. 

“This field is bigger than our entire village,” noted an astonished Asturian soldier. He was right. Yet the field had no outstanding features. In fact, it was quite plain. Just a simple stretch of earth devoid of grass or trees.

“I guess we register over there,” said Aya, pointing at a rectangular table set in the middle of the field.

“Is the training field in Ladria this big, sir?” asked one of the soldiers as they made their way to the registration table.

“It looks about the same,” answered Falcon. “Except our fields are full of grass and trees. I’m sure Sandorians don’t have much use for that, seeing that the majority of them are earth wielders.”

A fat man who sat behind the table stared at Falcon as he approached. “State the village you hail from and name your leader.”

“I’m Falcon Hyatt, commander of the forces of Asturia.”

The plump man handed Falcon a white parchment. “Sign your name on top and have your men sign at the bottom of your name.” The man took a quick glance at Falcon’s army. “Not much of an army you have there. How many men have you brought forth?”

“Forty-two, sir, including myself. We also have a medic who can serve on the healing squad.”

“I see. Since there are so few of you in number, one parchment will suffice.” After they had all signed, the stocky man pointed to the far corner of the field. “You and your men can set up camp over there.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Falcon and the Asturians marched to their designated corner.

“All right, everyone. Let’s set up camp before we freeze to death.”

Despite the long day, the men moved fast. In no time they had put up their small tents.

Meanwhile Falcon used the rocks and wood provided to build two simple fires.

“Sir, tell us more of Ladria,” said one of the soldiers as he took a seat beside Falcon.

“I don’t know much,” answered Falcon. “I’ve rarely stepped foot in the city. Most of my time I’ve spent training at the academy.”

“You heard that, boys?” snickered a voice from behind Falcon. “The Asturians have brought a mighty Rohad mercenary. We are guaranteed an easy victory now.”

Falcon swiveled his head. Two men stood laughing at their sarcastic remarks. Falcon’s sighed annoyingly. Is there nowhere I can go without being ridiculed?

“We didn’t mean any disrespect, oh mighty Rohad warrior,” mocked the biggest of the two men. He wore blood-red armor with a similar colored helmet that covered most of his face. Only his eyes and nose were exposed. “We are so overjoyed to have a commander who fights for money and holds no allegiance.”