three - our town

It has been a few days since the first death in this alternate universe, and hopefully the last. 

Everyday, Brooklyn awakes in an empty bed. Her boyfriend can't sleep at night, still blaming himself for the death of Emily. 

Today was no different. 

Brooklyn opened her eyes noticing Luke not in bed with her, with a sigh, she got out of bed and went to the closet she now shared with him. 

She pulled out a chunky knit white sweater to pair with some black leggings. After throwing in some basic mascara and throwing her hair into a messy low bun, she opened the bedroom door and went downstairs to the kitchen. There she started making a cup of coffee for herself. 

When Luke would be gone in the morning, Brooklyn would make her coffee and drink it at the counter, reading whatever book she decided to read. For the past few days it has been The Outsiders by S.E Hinton. 

She was just starting chapter fifteen when she heard the front door open. She turned in her chair at the island and saw Luke come in.

"Hey babe, where did you go? You were already gone when I left this morning." She asked, already knowing the answer.

"Nowhere. Out." He shrugged. Brooklyn closed her book and set it aside.

"The grave again?" 

The boy looked down at his hands, giving Brooklyn the answer. 

The sound of the chair scooting back sounded as she stood up to stand next to her boyfriend.

"It's okay. It's not your fault. You know that. I have told you so many times." 

"Who cares if its my fault? She's dead. I watched her die and I can't stop thinking about it."

"Luke-"

"There's nothing around here to fucking do but think ... or drink." Brooklyn wrapped her arm around the taller boy's shoulders and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I know."

"I'm sorry." He mumbled looking at her. Brooklyn only smiled slightley, shaking her head. The girl grabbed his face putting her lips on his for a short moment. She was the one to pull away, only to get a look of lust from the boy in front of her.

He was quick to rejoin their lips, and heat up the moment quick. His hands roamed her body until she pulled away.

"What?" He asked confused.

"Helena asked me to sing at church this afternoon." She smiled.

"Okay, that's a mood killer."

"You should come. Bring the guys the ... Guard or whatever you call yourselves. Will you bring them with you?"

"I mean I can try, but I just don't think it's at the top of their list of things to do today." Brooklyn smiled knowing that was true, maybe not for Grizz though. "So you just, like, decided?"

"Well I didn't. Helena did. Did you see the weird pagan ritual that Lexie and Eric were doing on the green today?"

"No." 

"People want answers. She says we need comfort and that we have to know where to look."

"Yeah, well. I'm looking."

"Just come." 

"You never liked going to church at home, what changed?"

"I guess I miss it. Having Benny use my leg as his racetrack and Bethany mumbling how much she wanted to leave. My mom and dad always having to sush Benny when his engine noises got too loud. It reminds me of them." She answered looking at her bare feet.