broken leaf

It was a normal Tuesday morning, the boys were already down stairs waiting for sam to finish getting ready, I slid on my favorite fluffy socks and realised I had left my shoes downstairs! I skipped to the stair way and looked down the long steap steps. The shinny oak wood had been resantly polished and I saw my reflection in it. I looked different, not just because I had changed the blue in my hair to red or that I had forgone the usual hoody but I had a spark in my eye; I was smiling too. I started marily down the steps. My foot slipped out from underneath me. I fell back my hands flalling trying to find a grip and then my back hit the steps,hard. I cried out and heard Jess and Brett sprinting for where I was. I kept slidding and tumbling down the hard steps. I felt a snap in my left wrist before I stopped at the bottom of the stairway.

I bit my lower lip holding in a cry of pain that clawed its way up my throwt. Jess knelt beside me his face rott with worry. "Sam! Sam are you ok? Sam! Can you hear me Sam?" I had curled into a small ball my wrist at the center.

"I-" My voice squeecked out tears streamed freely down my cheeks. "I'm ok. My wrist though. I think its broken." I say shaking from the sharp pain in my wrist. Brett stuck his strong tanned arms under me his eyes hard.

"I am taking you to the hospitle." He said. Fear seised my body. I thought about the hospitle, the white rooms the smell of death in the halls, the IV dripping who knows what into my arm, and the only sound is the ticking of the clock.

"NO!" I yell. "Not the hospitle! I'm fine really!" I say trying to make myself sound convincing. It didn't work. Brett slid me in the back of his car and Jess slid in after. Jess's face was filled with worry and gult. "Jess this isn't your fault." I tell him softly.

"I could have done something. But when Isaw you there, broken on the floor I couldn't think." He mermmers barly audible. "I couldn't do anything." He says.

I look at him then with my good hand I reach over to him and pull him into a tight hug. The tears were still falling. Jess hugged me back tight careful of my wrist. Then without warning he pulls me so my head is resting on his lap. "Jess?" I say questioningly.

"Sleep for a bit. it will make the ride go by faster." He said looking down at me something odd on his face. I close my eyes and try and sleep threw the pain. the nearest hospitle is nearly two and a half hours away. When I open my eyes next we are turning into the hospitle parking lot and Jess is running his fingers threw my short hair. Brett and Jess are talking in hushed tones.

"....Yeah they're visteting next week." Brett says.

"Fuck. I hate them, no offence." Jess's body is tense I realise.

"I know I do to. But they are paying for the house... They will only be here for a few days. They told me this morning." Brett turned off the car engine. "We can talk about it more after we get home. I don't know about you but I am staying with her." Brett turns around and I quickly shut my eyes pretending I am asleep.

Jess startes to gently try and wake me. "Sam we're here." I mumble and rub my eyes with my good hand.

"Ok......" I let my voice trail off. Who where they talking about? Whose coming next week? Why can't I know?? I slid out of the car and try to talk but my legs give out under neithe me. "Damn." I wisper to my self. Then Brett's strong arms are around me again and I am lifted up. He craddles me against his chest like I am a new born kitten. Its an odd feeling being haddled as if you could break at any moment. As he is craddling me I do he same to my broken wrist, its starting to turn an ugly shade of black and swelling alot. My pink finger was wollen too. I wondered if I could move them but was afraid to try.

Jess ran up to the front desk and tolf the man there what had happend and she picked up the phone and made a quick call and sent us to wait with the rest of the people there. One guy was sitting very sheepishly and awkwardly. When he noticed me looking, he yelled "I fell on it ok!" And then he clamped his hand over his mouth and blushed a very deep red. Brett still held me in his arms.