Chapter 16

*Liz's P.O.V.*

I opened my eyes and saw my room at the Curtis's. I pulled the covers off of me and sat up.

I winced in pain. I looked down at my stomach and saw it wrapped in white gauze. That's when I remembered what happened last night. The thought of my brother made me want to punch something but also cry at the same time.

I went to my mirror to see how bad I looked. It hurt to walk. I was still in my dress, the makeup was half on half off, and my hair was now a loose bun, with a braid, and the rose hairpiece was still in place.

I left my bedroom to see who was home. It was eerily quiet in the house. Too quiet. I go to the living room and see the whole gang plus Megan. Everyone who went to the dance was back in regular clothes. It was bright and sunny out.

Megan was the first to spot me. "Liz! Oh my gosh! How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Could be better," I said trying to lighten up the mood. Only when I laughed my stomach hurt like crazy. That made me make a whimper noise.

Ponyboy, without speaking, came up to me and put his arms around me. I grabbed his shirt and buried my face into it, crying. I didn't care if there a bunch of boys in the room. I hadn't cried like that, to let my emotions out, in a long time.

"Those Socs are going to pay for what they did to you," Dally said.

There were several "yeahs" agreeing with him.

"No," I said, once I stopped crying.

"Why not? Liz, they hurt you," Johnny said.

"Because. This was one person who did it. Not a group. We take him out, we take them all out."

"How do we do that?" Sodapop asked.

"We," I pointed to everyone in the room, "don't. I do."

"Excuse me?" Megan said, very confused.

"This is a family matter. I need to discuss some things with my dad and brother," I explained.

"How can we help?" Darry asked.

"I need your truck and someone to drive me to my place in five minutes." I went to my room and change. I put on black shorts with a simple, loose white t-shirt. I took my hair down, tried my best to fix it, and took off my makeup. I put on black Converse and walked back to the living room. All but the Curtis brothers were in the living room.

Before I could ask where they were, Steve pointed to the front door as if saying they were in the truck.

"Be careful, Liz," Megan said.

"I will," I replied.

I left the house and hopped into the back of their truck. I was quiet the whole ride. I only spoke when I gave Darry directions to my house.

When we arrived, I said, "I want you three to stay in the car but leave the windows down. If things get bad, I want y'all to come in,"

"We will," Darry promised.

"Yeah, and if Ponyboy wants to come in before that, we'll stop him," Sodapop laughed.

"Good luck, Liz." Ponyboy kissed my forehead.

I smiled and walked up the driveway. When I walked past Christopher's car, I looked through the window and saw the closed pocket knife that he used. I opened the car door and took it out. This time I've got proof.

I went to the front door, just to be polite, and rang the doorbell. After a few seconds, I heard the doorknob started to jingle. The door opened, my father was on the other side.