Chapter 3

*Liz P.O.V*

Talking to those Greasers was just the same as talking to Socs. In fact, I think I talked more to them than I did to anyone. I was scared by them. They saw it too. My father had always told stories about Dallas Winston. About how he was always at the police station. I did notice Johnny Cade, the Greaser who stabbed Bob. He must have just released from jail. And I remembered Ponyboy from school. I always sat behind him in Math and English due to our last names being so close. My last name is Davis, and his is Curtis.

It wasn't a lie when I told them I had to be somewhere. I had a job interview at the library. I was waiting in the back office as another person walked out. "Miss Davis, he's ready for you," the receptionist said. I stood up and walked into the office.

"Hello, Elizabeth. I'm Mr. William."

"Hello," I said. "You can just call me Liz. And before we start, I don't want you to choose me just because of who my dad, the sheriff." I've had many experiences with my dad's power. That's how I got into some of the advanced classes.

"Okay, Liz. Let's begin. What work experience do you have?" Mr. William asked.

"I've babysat some kids in the neighborhood."

He wrote something done on his paper. "Next question, why do you want to want to work in a library? Most girls your age would want to work in a diner or a drive-in."

I replied with, "Ever since I was little, I've always thought of the library as a safe place. Everyone comes here for the same thing." There's no Soc or Greaser. I didn't say that last part. Most adults don't know about the Socs and the Greasers.

He wrote what I said down; it went on like that for about 10 more minutes.

Finally when it was over, he said, "Thank you for coming. We'll contact you later this week if you get the job." With that, I walked out the door.

*A few days later*

I was in Math when the loud speaker came on. "Can we please see Elizabeth Davis down in the office? There's a call for her."

I walk into the office. "Hello?" I say into the phone.

"Hello, Elizabeth, this is Mr. William. I interviewed you about your job in the library. I am happy to say that you got the job. Can you will begin work today right after school."

"Oh, thank you, Mr. William! I'm glad to be starting. Yes, I can begin today." I hung up and called my dad to tell him about the new job.

I got back to class right when the bell rang. It was the end of the day. I was so excited. In a few minutes I would be starting my first job.