Chapter 7

I got permission from my dad that I could go to the Dingo Friday. I told Ponyboy that Monday, in the library, before we left. But what was strange is after Monday, Pony wouldn't look at me directly, wouldn't say hi in the hallway, or talk to me. But he acted perfectly fine with his guy friends. He even stopped going to the library. He returned a book once, said, "The gang can't wait to see you Friday," and left. He didn't even mention himself.

It was Friday now, and my dad was driving me to the Dingo. "Christopher will pick you up at 7:15, so be ready," he said.

"Yes, sir." I turned away and roll my eyes. 7:15 was so early! I hopped out. I could see the gang through the window. I walked in and greeted them. "Hey, boys." It was Ponyboy by the window, then Soda, Steve, and Two-bit on one end and Johnny, Dally, and Darry on the other. I sat beside Darry.

Everyone said hi back. Well, everyone but Ponyboy. He was staring out the window. I could see Soda nudge him in the ribs to get his attention. "Oh, um, hi," he said and started playing with his straw wrapper. This was going to be a very long dinner. I ordered sweet tea with lemon for a drink. Everyone was quiet. For "Can't wait to see me" I would think it would be more exciting. But after we ordered food, I guess they couldn't handle the silence. Soda started saying "So, Liz, Pony tells me you work at the library."

"Uh yeah, everyday," I replied.

"But you're a Soc. Why do you need the money?" Steve spoke up.

"Because I don't want to be classified as a daddy's girl. Getting all she wants because she's from the west side. You gotta earn what you want right." I felt like I was in an interview.

"Alright, I guess you're cool." This time Dally spoke and I just smiled. I got Dallas Winston's approval.

Our food came, and we all ate. There was small talk while we ate, but I didn't really pay attention. I just kept looking at Ponyboy. He's normally talkative, especially around his friends, but not now. The gang must have noticed too. Johnny spoke up and said "Come on ,Ponyboy, what's the matter?"

"Nothing," was all he said.

"It's not nothing, kiddo," Darry said.

There was bicker now, and I was just listening, not really knowing what to say. This day could not get any worse, that is until Christopher came barging in. "Come on, Liz, I've been out here for 5 minutes."

"Sorry, Christopher, I had no idea." I said.

"Let's just go. I didn't know you were hanging out with Greasers." He spat out "Greasers" like it was trash. He pulled me by the arm and basically started dragging me. I pulled out my wallet and put some cash on the table to pay for food. His grip was tight, and it hurt a little. We got in the car and drove off.

When we got home I went into my room and laid on my bed crying. Today was the worst day ever. Tomorrow will be better. It'll be my birthday.

*Pony's P.O.V*

"What the hell, man," Two-Bit said after Liz left. "All you could do last week was talk about asking Liz here and then this whole week you got quiet and wouldn't even look at her."

"I had to!" I replied.

"You didn't have to, Pony," Soda said.

I started to shake a bit. "Yes, I did. If I didn't he was going to hurt her!"

Darry looked directly into my eyes. "Who was going to hurt her?"

"Christopher."