Chapter Twenty-One

Aspenrose sat outside the medicine cat den, Firepool by her side. They had just finished sorting through the herb store, and sun-high had approached. Huge fluffy white clouds scattered the sky in clumps. All was calm.
Footsteps pounded towards the camp. Aspenrose perked her ears in curiosity. A gray tabby she-cat bounded over the slope, flanks heaving. She approached the medicine cats, out of breath.
"Come quick," Frozenheart panted. "Addertuft is hurt!"
Firepool stood immediately. "Frozenheart take Aspenrose to her. Hurry! I'll catch up with the herbs."
Aspenrose sprang to her paws, her mind whirling. Not Addertuft! I hope she's okay! Addertuft, Aspenrose's only friend, was hurt. Anxiety pulsed through her veins. She bounded off after Frozenheart.
The gray tabby she-cat led Aspenrose down a small rise and toward the horse-place. Aspenrose felt speed pick up under her paws, bracing for the worst.
They came to a stop near a clump of bushes just before the horse-place. Frozenheart lingered back, as if afraid of the outcome.
A white she-cat sat nearby. "She was chasing a rabbit when she twisted her paw in a rabbit hole. She can't stand," Snowleap explained, amber eyes flicking to another cat.
Jaggedswirl sat close to Addertuft, licking her ears to comfort her. Aspenrose examined her friend's twisted paw. She sighed in relief. Only a sprain.
She looked up to see Snowleap stroking her brother's pelt with her tail. Jaggedswirl looked up to meet Aspenrose's gaze. Worry showed slightly in his beautiful copper eyes.
"It's only a sprain," Aspenrose mewed softly. "She'll be fine."
Aspenrose noticed relief flow over Jaggedswirl's expression. A moment later, Firepool arrived with the essentials.
Aspenrose picked out a poppy seed from the bundle as Firepool applied nettle leaves to Addertuft's paw. Addertuft lapped up the seed slowly.
"Thank you, Firepool," Addertuft raised her head. "That feels much better."
"Let's get her back to camp," Firepool ordered. "Snowleap take one side and Frozenheart take the other. Jaggedswirl take the lead and Aspenrose follow from behind in case she stumbles. I'll meet you back at camp, I need to get her nest ready before she arrives."
Frozenheart And Snowleap helped Addertuft slowly to her paws. As they did so, Jaggedswirl's gaze met Aspenrose's again. He dipped his head in gratitude. Aspenrose felt her ear tips get hot, and nodded in response.
Aspenrose took her position in the back. But before they set off, Aspenrose caught Jaggedswirl nuzzle Addertuft, and she licked his ear back. Aspenrose felt as if her ribcage had just been crushed.
The affection between her best friend and her crush was only growing stronger, and it wasn't hard to miss. Suddenly a moment in time came back to Aspenrose, and the heather seemed to whisper to her in the breeze. If the Wind blows and a Swirling storm shall cover the Moon, seek answers where your heart truly lies
       Aspenrose felt lightheaded. She realized what part of it meant now, and she did not like it. Jaggedswirl is the Swirling storm. Aspenrose caught her breath. Bottled up feelings returned, and she vowed to keep them hidden behind her mask, for good.