Chapter Ten

Two moons had passed since Deerpaw and Whitepaw were made apprentices. Littlefrost's kits had been delivered: two toms. Birchpaw's apprenticeship had been taken over by Doestar when her mentor had kitted.
Littlefrost's kits were just one moon old. The first tom was named Cinderkit; he was black and white with blue eyes. His brother was named Echokit; gray-furred with hazel eyes.
       Aspenpaw's tail twitched as she watched the camp clearing. The afternoon leaf-fall sun washed over the lake territories, warming the backs of sun-bathing cats. Redfang, the ThunderClan elder, groomed his gray-and-white fur outside his den.
    Aspenpaw padded up to him, ears twitching. Duskheart had told her that Redfang's time was nearing an end. The elder had become stiff over the past moon, and he was slowing down more and more every passing day.
       Redfang stopped grooming to look up at Aspenpaw, amber eyes narrowed. "What do you want?" He rasped.
       Aspenpaw dropped her gaze slightly. "I'm here to check on you; orders from Duskheart. Are you feeling sore or stiff today?"
     Redfang snorted, then paused another heartbeat before nodding. "My hind legs have been giving me some trouble lately."
       Redfang stretched out his hind legs to let Aspenpaw inspect them. She ran her paws down his thin frame, feeling the stiffness in his legs. Aspenpaw sat down beside the elder, massaging his stiff muscles in hope they would loosen up.
       Redfang's raspy breathing eased up and Aspenpaw felt him begin to relax. After a moment he let out a long sigh. "Thank you, Aspenpaw. That feels better."
       Aspenpaw nodded, turning to pad towards the nursery. Duskheart was out collecting herbs and she had given Aspenpaw a few tasks while she was gone.
       Aspenpaw pushed through the brambles into the nursery where Littlefrost fed her young kits. "How are they doing?"
       Littlefrost looked up, eyes shinning. "They're doing great, thank you. Kits are just so precious." The gray tabby queen curled up around her kits, breathing growing heavier as she drifted into sleep.
        Pain seared Aspenpaw's heart as she watched the small kits sleep with their mother. A claw seemed to rake her insides as she realized she would never be a mother, never have a mate, never love; never be loved.
      Aspenpaw turned away, and met the eyes of Graypaw who was outside the apprentice den. His amber gaze was sharp, hatred burning in them. Aspenpaw let herself shiver. She plucked a vision from her memories; handsome copper eyes gazing at something in the distance under a sparkling full moon.
       She needed him. She needed to get away from being unnoticed, being unloved. She needed to escape; she needed freedom.