Chapter 19

“Lets go” Cinocca said. “I know that someone’s nearby, the boy from six”

The rest of the pack followed, sneaking silently behind him.

“just a bit further” he whispered.

Harlow stepped forward, but a hand came forward and stopped her. She looked up, confused, meeting a pair of baby grey eyes.

“I don’t want to fight” Ajax told her. “I just want to stop fighting”

“You’re not gonna survive by lying around” she half snarled.

“you’re bitter for a thirteen year old. What happened to you?”

“I grew up” she replied.

“no one, should have to grow up so fast” he motioned to the ground. “Let’s sit, we wont be the ones killing anyways”

“Could be” Harlow mumbled.

“well I don’t want to, so you can go, but I’m going to stay right here” he plopped down into the sand, his hair flicking into his eyes.

Harlow looked around, eyes flitting back and forth before taking a seat beside him. “Fine, I’ll stay”

---------------------------------------------------

 "Deep in the meadow…” Garland sang.

“umm… I don’t know” Elodie replied.

“Hmmm. I’ve been trying to write something good, something worth singing” he smiled “I used to go out to this clearing back home. It felt like the only place that wasn’t contaminated. It was beautiful, swirling colors of green. Trees, freedom.” He let his eyes wander off into space. “Somewhere safe, and perfect, comfortable. White daisies everywhere”

“that sounds nice”

“It was, but I suppose I’ll never see it again” She frowned at that.

 "What makes you think you'll lose?" Garland turned towards her quickly.

 "I will hate myself if I win. It'll mean that I didn't keep my promise to save the ones who don't deserve to be here" his eyes wander to the three sleeping figures. "It'll mean that I didn't save you either" he met her gaze clearly. "I… Care about what happens to you too you know”

“You shouldn’t have to worry about me too.” She sighed.

“But it’s ok, we’ve both agreed to protect them. And that’s all that matters”

“ya” her eyebrows plunged,nose crinkling.

“Now smile” he demanded quietly “You shouldn’t worry until you have to. And, you look prettier when you smile. Happy” Elodie chuckled softly, a grin breaking out across her face.

“That’s better” he said “Now keep it up”

-------------------------------------

Evening huddled in towards the other two twelve year olds, trying not shiver. She saw Garland and the girl from eleven talking. It seemed she’d become part of their alliance. Evening observed the two, the girl smiled at something Garland said, laughing quietly. How she could laugh under such extreme conditions, Evening didn’t know. But she could tell Garland was happy, that was good.

A cannon boomed from far away, and Evening tensed. Hopefully whoever had killed someone just now was far way.  She knew Garland would protect her, but she didn’t want any of them injured or killed. Not even the strange boy from district 8. He said that he lived with gophers, which is how he knew how to hide in the strange tunnel he’d built. Evening dug her toes into the sand, watching their small pile of weapons glinting in the sunrise.

She took a deep breath, savouring the last few moments of peace before they’d be stressed and on the run again. And then her lungs were engulfed in water.

------------------------------

The world was swirling, blue. Darkness and light flashing in, and out. Garland was cold, so cold. His brain was muddled, thoughts swimming as if through jelly. He had no sense of direction, all he could do was thrash. His lungs throbbed, he gasped, but only a thick cold substance entered his chest. The pressure built up within him, and refused to escape. His chest was ready to explode, so filled with pain as he struggled to grip onto reality.

He hit something hard, pain shooting up through his back. And he couldn’t take the pain any longer, he felt so numb. Sinking down, deeper, deeper, deeper. Flowing into nothing.