Chapter 9

Hey guys, I have no good excuse, I procrastinate. So I'll have to set myself deadlines, so I'll aim to have a chapter every week from now on. So enough of me, here's the chapter.

--------------

All tributes

"There have been 480 tributes that entered the games, only 20 of them have come out alive." Michelyna said strongly "Here in the training center, you'll learn how to become number twenty one, you'll learn to survive harsh conditions. Most of all you'll learn to be a winner..." She eyed all the tributes. "This week, you'll all be training together, and I don't want to see any fighting before the games, you all need to be in prime condition."

Garland felt uneasy. He didn't want to learn how to handle weapons... But he had to. If he wanted to be of any help to his allies he would.

So he followed them around. Kordeen Stohne seemed to have a knack for ripping things with his teeth, as well tying knots. His hands were quick. Morelai didn't have any outstanding battle talents, but she was extremely smart, and good at strategizing. Evening was quick on her feet, and unbearably quiet. He couldn't hear her soft footsteps behind him. They weren't warriors, but they were all good at something, and that might just be enough.

-----------------

Cinocca scouted, making note of each tribute. District 1, both careers, and therefore potential allies. Same with District 2, there a pretty, lean, blonde girl with gray eyes and a guy with the same features, siblings? The guy looked kinder somehow, but he was a career after all. Harlow was young but experienced, she was smart. He'd definitely keep her for a while.

Then District 4, there was a girl, with dark hair, her golden eyes stared at him weirdly, maybe he could make use of that. Her district partner was nothing special, but he probably could swim pretty well.

He looked through the rest, deciding who was a threat, and who was an ally.

After showing off some knife throwing skills, he approached the girl from district 2.

"Cinocca Trench, District 3" he stuck out his hand.

"McKinley Crane, District 2" her slender fingers extended towards his. She couldn't tell what his intentions were.

"I thought it would be best to ally up before hand, us careers got to stick together" his shiny teeth flashed a smile.

"And you're a career?" she lifted an eyebrow"

"You don't decide where you're born"

"True" his dark eyes intrigued her, they were alluring, mysterious. He was tall, much taller than her. Pale skin, finely chiseled features, certainly good looking. "So, are you asking to ally up?"

"I suppose you could say that" he smiled slyly. "You obviously know what you're doing"

"Well then, I'll have to think about your offer"

"Take all the time you need, I'll be right here"

McKinley walked off, feeling breathless. He's dangerous, she told herself. A hunter, here for the kill. He doesn't care about you. But why couldn't she stop thinking about him. The way his dark hair fell over his eyes, the curve of his lip as he smiled. No. She had to stop thinking. She couldn't let a pretty face get in the way of victory, she'd make her parents proud.

McKinley grasped her token, her brother's medallion. He'd won the games, and she was ready to do the same