Chapter 5

Garland Colenight & Evening Moore

D12

Evening brought her hand to the glass, letting her slender fingers slide over the looming silver buildings of the Capitol.

"Some people would say its beautiful" Evening turned back at the voice.

Garland stood behind her, his expression sober.

"It's not" she added. "it's just a sick reminder of what they have that we don't. It just shows how sick it all is"

"You're pretty morbid for a twelve year old" he chuckled.

"And you're pretty cheerful for someone who's going into a fight to the death"

He leaned against the wall.

"I think, that if you have the strength to laugh, through hardships, then it's like you're showing everyone else the light, it's like you're showing them that you're above this, that they can hurt you but you're too strong to let it stop you"

They just stood in silence for a few seconds.

"You know, I think I like you"

"I am glad you do Miss Moore, I like you too"

"I don't want to be weak but... I'm scared"

"Fear doesn't make you weak, it gives you a reason to be strong." he flashed a smile. "I think we could've been friends"

"Ya..." Evening couldn't help but smile back. "Do you want to watch the reapings?"

"Sure" Garland gave a casual nod. The two made their way to the common area, a large television filling the wall space.

It wasn't much different than most years, though there were more volunteers than usual. Careers were coming from non Career districts.

Garland noticed two more twelve year olds, with no one to volunteer for them. Strangely, they were both from District eight. Morelai Darth an Kordeen Stohne. Morelai had dark straight hair and warm yet terrified brown eyes. Kordeen was like her opposite, sandy brown hair, and grey eyes, he emanated some strange animal qualities, his front teeth sticking out slightly. But to Garland, none of that mattered, all that mattered was getting one of them out alive, trying to save them from a long painstaking death. He couldn't get all three of the twelve year olds out, but he would make sure to protect them as long as he could.

Once again he felt bile rise up in his throat, he stared into the terrified faces of the twelve year olds, wishing this wasn't their life. They should have the chance to live a life without pain, already the Capitol had tortured them enough, but now.... Forcing them to kill people, that was absurd.

He stood up impulsively, already having made his choice for allies, he excused himself, and Evening's eyes followed him curiously out the door.

" I request Evening Moore, Kordeen Stohne and Morelai Darth" Garland said forcefully. His mentor, Jer, raised one eyebrow.

Jer was a mentor sent in from District two, he was a victor from three years prior.

"You're sure? The twelves aren't really the strongest allies. This could be your death"

"I'm sure. They need to make it through, it's sick that they're here" Garland shook his head "It's so sick that there are children fighting to the death, they're young, they don't deserve this"

"Fine. But realize that it's not going to help you survive"

"I. Don't. Care. I've never stood a chance anyways, it's always been my job to protect people"

"So be it" he sighed "Don't get me wrong, I care nothing about you kid, sincerely, but my job is to keep you alive. And now you've gone and ruined it, so don't blame me when you die" and with that, he stalked out, leaving Garland alone with his thoughts.

--------------

Elodie Amaya & Damon Nyle D11

Elodie's heart pounded in her chest as she was shaken awake. Her blue eyes opened, pupils dilated in terror.

"Are you ok?" Damon asked softly. "You were screaming so I came in, and woke you up. I'm sorry"

"N-no its not a problem. Thank you, I'm fine." she felt vulnerable. Already she was having nightmares, her sister being beaten bloody by Jennifer, her mother's lifeless body. Elodie felt so out of place, so lost. At least her district partner was nice, maybe he had a chance of winning. It would help Coralie if he won.

Damon was reluctant to leave, already feeling a deep caring for her. She seemed sweet and kind, she had no place in this game. He turned back and sat at the foot of the bed.

"Nightmares about the games? Or someone back home?" he asked.

"My sister" he could see longing in her eyes.

"I understand, my girlfriend Azalea, she's been sick. I hate having to leave her there alone. She's strictly on bed rest, she can hardly move around. It's hard, having to leave behind everyone you love" Elodie nodded.

"But if you win, you'll have enough money to get her treatment. The district will be rich"

"Don't think so low of yourself. With training, you could be a warrior"

"Ya but, I don't want to be a warrior. I don't want to be a murderer"

"I understand that, that's why I won't be winning either" he sighed "I don't think I can do it, I can't take someone's life