Chapter Four: You Bet They're My Friends

Alex’s POV

“What are you five doing here?!” I whisper yelled as I stomped over towards the boys, ripping off my batting gloves and throwing them into my helmet, running a hand through my hair to at least straighten it out.

“We wanted to root you on!” Louis cheered as if it was obvious. I narrowed my eyes at them.

“You’re drawing stares.” I said in a hushed tones as I looked around us. They all laughed at me.

“No really, as if we aren’t used to that.” Harry said and ruffled my hair. I glared at him and he took on a frightened expression before hiding behind Liam who was staring at the ground. My heart went cold at his presence. I bit my lip and turned back to face the other three.

“Well there goes my normal life.” I groaned and kicked a pebble with my cleat.

“You weren’t going to be able to keep it with all of us staying at your house for the next month. You do know that right?” Zayn spoke up. I sighed and nodded.

“Yeah, but I wasn’t expecting it to go this fast.” I admitted. “I was thinking you would mention me on twitter or something first.”

“Nah, this is more fun.” Niall smiled. It got quiet for a moment before they all exchanged a smile and then pulled me into a tight hug. I could feel Liam’s eyes digging into my back as he stood off to the side, avoiding our group hug.

“That was an amazing hit Alex!” Zayn said, our hug lingering as the other three backed off. I gave him on last squeeze and backed away, smiling up at him.

“Thanks guys. It was because you distracted the pitcher and she messed up and pitched a perfectly hittable pitch.” They looked lost, but smiled when I said it was thanks to them.

“But still that was amazing.” Harry put in. I smiled at him in thanks.

“Alex! Get over here! Boys, leave her alone, she’s playing a game.” My mother called over. I turned around and saw the entire team staring at me like they had seen an alien. I couldn’t help the smirk that spread across my face.

“Sorry ma’am!” Louis called and gave her a salute. She just smiled and rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, I gotta go out to the field… thanks for coming I guess. Just don’t embarrass me too much. Oh, and don’t scare the children.” I giggled and pointed to a few of the girls younger siblings that were sitting on the bleachers. They all laughed and nodded.

“We’ll be fine. Good luck! Great hit again!” Zayn called over his shoulder as he followed Louis, Niall, and Harry who had pranced over to the bleachers and already engaged into a conversation with my cousin Jack whom they had met once before. I was about to walk away when I noticed Liam was still standing there.

“Uh… keep an eye on them I guess.” I stuttered awkwardly, not making eye contact. He smirked and nodded.