Chapter II

We made our way to all the caves we could find. Our group growing and the Raiders' diminishing. Once all the Raiders were disposed of, or at least all the ones we could find, the used-to-be prisoners began to call to any other people who might still be imprisoned. We found two more caves full of people. By the time we had freed every prisoner it was dusk and the blizzard was just breaking overhead. There was no time to scavenge for food. The best thing one could do was hide in a cave and wait it out. I told everyone to split into three groups and each group should choose a large cave. They obeyed. I started a fire in each cave to provide warmth, luckily each of the caves had a large stack of firewood. When I finally settled down I distanced myself from the prisoners. I was still depressed and wished to be as far away from the jubilant people as possible.
I stared into the middle distance, thinking of the enormous task in front of me, while fiddling with the ring around my neck. I was meant to find a girl of nineteen, with an unknown name who might resemble Genevah. It was a tough mission. For, I didn't even know if she was still alive, or even in Cascata.
"So," said a woman's voice immediately to my right.
I started and sprung to my feet. I had been so lost in my own thoughts that I hadn't even noticed her. That had been happening lately, and it gave me an uneasy feeling.
"I'm sorry," she said sincerely, "I didn't mean to startle you."
I sat back down. "No it's fine, I was just thinking," I replied.
"Oh," she said. "What's your name?"
"Tristan Belmont," I said.
"Tristan Belmont?!" she asked, incredulous.
I looked at her and nodded my head. I must have looked ridiculous, perhaps even pitiable. My knees were curled up against my chest, I was all alone without any guards, and I had frost in my hair. Not to mention my wasted and hopeless appearance.
"What happened? Where's your men?" she asked, worriedly.
"Gone, all gone," I said, barely moving my lips while looking into the middle distance.
"How?" she asked, her concern apparent.
"Raiders. That's not important though. Have you seen any girl up here of about nineteen who has curly white blond hair, and green eyes?" I asked, changing the subject to something more to my tastes.
"Not recently, a week or two back they had a girl by your description, I think she managed to escape though," said the woman.
I was faint with relief and exuberance, I had a lead! Even if it came to nothing at least I wouldn't be wandering around aimlessly with nothing to go on.
"Thank you," I said, "Thank you so much."
"This girl you speak of, do you know her?" she asked curiously.
I shook my head. "I volunteered to find her and return her to her family," I replied.
"Have you seen this girl before?"
"No, but I knew her sister."
"You say you knew, past tense?" she asked, but I was too tired and lost in thought to reply.