Chapter II

The next morning I woke to Lord Tristan cooking breakfast. He looked fresh, and perhaps even cheerful compared to all the other moods I had seen him in. But I knew that I hadn't imagined what had happened last night.
When we were all seated at breakfast I began my plot.
"So Eva, how long have you known Lord Tristan for?" I asked, nonchalantly, perhaps even reverently.
"Not too long, a few weeks, maybe a month," she said.
"I'm guessing you wouldn't want to marry a cry baby," I said, casually.
She looked up confused. "Well no, not really," she replied.
"Well Lord Tristan here was crying last night when he thought everyone was asleep," I said.
Eva gave me the most disgusted and disbelieving look.
"Who are you to talk like that? You don't know what he's been through! Everybody he knew died a month ago!" she said angrily.
Lord Tristan gave me a disgusted look that clearly said, you are an idiot. And looking in retrospect I have no doubt about it.
"What do you mean everybody he knew died?" I asked, unsure if I was in the right.
"The Raiders planned a mass attack, 20,000 to 500, Tristan alone survived," she said.
"Oh," I said, horrified at my behaviour, but too arrogant to ask for forgiveness. "I, uh..." I stuttered.
"Just don't say anything unless you've thought it through," said Eva.
Her words stung most of all, I felt crushed, it was a very humbling experience and I thank the gods that it happened.

We finally made it to the Borderlands, and I am happy to say that I was less brash. We arrived at the appointed spot, it looked like an unimportant wasteland on top of a little hillock. There was nothing noteworthy in sight. At least from what I saw.
"So this is it?" I asked, in a condescending tone.
"Yes, yes it is Cassim," said Lord Tristan, irritated.
I rolled my eyes, so he was barely a Lord, and he was apparently blind too. I couldn't believe Eva had a thing for this guy. But once again I was humbled, Lord Tristan walked over to a small bush and began to climb down a hole.
"Follow me, unsaddle the horses and let them go," said Lord Tristan.

When we were all safely down the hole I was shocked to see that someone besides the three of us was in the hole too. It was a Captain of His Majesty's Army, he wore a uniform that made him look intimidating.
"My Lord Tristan, it is an honour to have you here," he said.
Lord Tristan's face lighted in unexpected happiness.
"Seberin! I haven't seen you in years!"
"Yes, it's been awhile hasn't it?" he said, giving Lord Tristan a manly hug.
"I hadn't realised you'd enlisted into His Majesty's Army," said Lord Tristan.
"Ah yes," Seberin said chuckling.
"Eva, Cassim, Seberin was my trainer in swordsmanship and archery. He taught me everything I know," said Lord Tristan.
"Wow," said Eva.
I stood in stony stubbornness. I was impressed with Lord Tristan's swordsmanship, but I wasn't going to reveal any admiration. No, that would show weakness.
"You shouldn't have brought her," said Seberin, firmly.
"I didn't," said Lord Tristan, his teeth clenched.
Eva stepped forward defiantly. I was impressed.
"I said I would do something drastic if he didn't let me come," she said, sticking her chin up in the air. Seberin sighed.
"Very well, but I cannot guarantee your safety young lady," he said.
"I know," she said, shrugging contentedly.
"So where is your retinue?" asked Seberin.
Lord Tristan winced.
"We were attacked by some barbarians going through the Marked Forest," said Lord Tristan.
"Curse them," muttered Seberin, "They weren't Raiders?" he asked, suddenly very alert.
"No," said Lord Tristan, shaking his head. "Not by a long shot."