Part 4-Chapter I

The following is in accordance with Princess Genevah Avonmora's records, Lord Tristan Belmont son of Lord Faedin and Lady Lena's records and Eva Caesarea's records. I will proceed from the point where my story starts.

...oOo...

To my surprise I was to be a member of Lord Tristan Belmont's escort on his journey to the Borderlands, and I was delighted to hear that Eva Caesarea would be accompanying him. The date for departure was set. In two days' time we would be on the road. I had never gone past the outer circle of Ardine which was fondly referred to as the Hinterlands. So this was going to be a huge adventure for me.
The escort for Lord Tristan was a large one, it was three squads of guards including myself, all of which, but two, rode horses. It was quite a large escort for someone who had lost all their wealth. For that's practically all I knew about Tristan at the time. To be honest the only reason I was pleased to be on that particular trip was because I loved the girls and they loved me. Unfortunately, it turned out that this particular girl didn't really pay any attention to anyone, but Lord Tristan. I was infuriated to realise that she had feelings for this Lord, and it pained me to watch as it was so obvious!
On the day of departure we left discreetly, not wishing to attract any attention. I wasn't exactly sure what Lord Tristan's orders were, all I knew was that we were going to the Borderlands to put down the Raiders, or something like that. And there were also numerous things I didn't like about this Lord. One, was he was a better swordsman than I. Two, Eva liked him. And three, he would always fiddle with something around his neck, and it was extremely aggravating.

On the third day of our travel I overheard Eva and Lord Tristan talking to each other.
"So what exactly is this mission all about? It didn't make much sense to me," said Eva.
"I'm being sent to the Borderlands to oversee and help in battle plans to eliminate the Raiders," said Lord Tristan.
"But why you? They could have sent anyone," said Eva.
"Yes, but I'm the only one fit for the job that knows about the other princess. If they're going to try to kidnap her, well, I'll be there to stop them. Plus, because of my past experiences with the Raiders, I understand them better than most," he said, bitterly, in a hushed voice.
My curiosity was pricked, being a man with keen ears I listened more attentively the next time they spoke, but only if it was about something worth eavesdropping on. But they didn't say anything else of interest, unfortunately.
Though, a few days later something noteworthy did happen, but not between Eva and Lord Tristan. On the seventh day from our departure we were riding through the Marked Forest when the steady clip clop of the horses' hooves was drowned out by war cries. The Marked Forest is well known, there are many legends about it, and there are said to be barbarians in the woods. Unfortunately, travelling by the Marked Forest was the quickest way if your objective was swiftness and to go unseen.
"Protect Eva!" shouted Lord Tristan. He manoeuvred his horse toward the lead warrior who had burst forth through the trees.
We obeyed his command, encircling Eva who was precariously balanced on a horse. We drew our swords ready to defend her from any attack. I realised we must have looked like idiots, there Lord Tristan was fighting like a hero, and all the men who were meant to be defending him were standing around a horse with no opponents. However that soon changed, once the outlaws, barbarians—or whatever you want to call them—realised that there was no way they could outmatch Lord Tristan, they turned on us. I was a Private and was in no way ready, or trained for a fight like this.
I kept inching back to the horse, my fear mounting as I saw fellow guardsmen fall around me. I managed to maim two or three barbarians, but my mind was in a state of fear, rather than a state of battle. Finally when all hope had gone Lord Tristan came to my rescue. He was a superb swordsman. Never did I have to warn him of an unseen attack. Finally the barbarians fled. I looked around and my heart jumped into my throat, the only ones left alive were Lord Tristan, Eva, and I.
My breathing quickened and I began to panic, I had never seen a dead man before, young or old.
"Come on, before they come back," said Lord Tristan, panting.
"I'm going back to Ardine," I said, haughtily.
"Suit yourself," said Lord Tristan.
"And I'm taking Eva with me, she'll be safer in Ardine rather than this barbaric land," I said, angrily, my voice shrill.
"Don't be stupid," he replied. He didn't elaborate, for he didn't have to. It would be stupid. I could barely hold a sword and we were only two days away from the Borderlands. I stopped arguing, but I did go over several vengeful thoughts. My fantasies were interrupted by Eva bursting into tears. He was at her side before I could blink. He gently lifted her off the horse and took her in his arms.
"Shhhhhh," he said quietly, while Eva cried into his shirt.
Jealousy arose inside me. I wanted to be the one she was crying on. I wanted to be the one to comfort her. But no, instead it was up to gallant, flawless, heroic, Lord Tristan. I was simply a bystander. I was simply meant to watch and help protect. Private Cassim Anscombe the guardsman.
After Eva was comforted, not by me I might add, we carried on. We managed to salvage two horses; the rest had run off. Tristan made me ride the other one and he walked in front, leading Eva's steed.
That night when we settled down it took me awhile to fall asleep. Eva slept like a rock. After about three hours of sleeplessness I heard Lord Tristan. At first I wasn't sure what he was doing or saying. I thought that he might be sleep talking, but after another five minutes I realised he was crying. His body was quivering with each breath. I smiled to myself, Eva was mine, what girl would want a man, even if he was a Lord, that cried at night?