Chapter III

Pamella cleaned my wounds and presented me with a second tunic. This I put on happily and sat on the grass off to the left of the slave quarters. I laid with my back on the cool grass and sighed contentedly. To say the least, I was relieved I wasn't working and I especially enjoyed the natural sounds such as the birds' singing. I was lying in the shade of a Banyan tree, soaking up the coolness. It was so serene and relaxing that I closed my eyes and began to drift off to sleep. I was almost in that peaceful zone when the approach of someone pulled me out of it. Being so relaxed as I had not been in a number of years, I decided not to open my eyes.
"Who is this?" I asked.
"It's Tristan," said a male voice. My eyes popped open and I threw myself face forwards into a bow.
"Forgive my Lord for my insolence and—"
"Hush, Gena," he said calmly.
I obeyed instantly.
"You may rise. I am not a King, and I prefer to talk to people face to face, rather than this way."
I stood up as instructed though my eyes stared fixedly on the ground.
"You must come with me, though Pamella is wonderful at first aid and changing bandages, I think it would be best if my physician checks to make sure there is no risk of infection or serious injury," said Lord Tristan. He smiled slightly and turned away gesturing me to follow.

Lord Tristan's physician is a kind older man. He congratulated me on receiving an injury that would easily heal. To my surprise Lord Tristan seemed somewhat relieved at the news. He was just about to say something to me, no doubt to dismiss me, when the public sitting room door slammed open with a bang.
"Mind the doors!" exclaimed Lord Tristan heatedly.
Two people entered one was a protesting servant. ("...I couldn't stop him he just...") The second was a tough looking man who looked to be used to danger and adventure.
"My Lord I have brought urgent news! Raiders are amassing just beyond the pass, my scouts have informed me that they number near 20,000 and they plan to purge the plains! The particulars such as the set date I have not yet managed to acquire—"
"You have seen this yourself?!" interposed Lord Tristan, swiftly.
"Yes, my Lord," answered the man, distraughtly.
Lord Tristan turned to the servant who was still protesting and who hadn't computed a single word that had been said.
"Avan," said Tristan, addressing the servant. "Go find my mother and ask her if she will come here immediately." Avan nodded, curious what he had missed.
"Gena," Tristan said, turning to me. "You must stay with me, this is not a safe place for anyone, especially for those who can't fight." This sentence struck a chord. That's when I realised he actually cared for me, not the work he can get out of me, or the money he had invested in me, but I, as a person, mattered to him. I was going to reply, but the entrance of Tristan's mother, Lena, stopped me. She was of medium height, perhaps an inch or two smaller than myself. She was slim and graceful with long locks of gorgeous brown hair touched by grey. She is a very becoming middle aged woman.
"Mother!" said Tristan hurrying to her side. He took both her hands and seated her upon one of the many couches. "Are you quite well mother?" asked Tristan.
"Yes. Why, what is the matter?" she asked, staring around at all the people present.
"This news may alarm you dear mother, but I will fix it. It will work out," said Tristan.
"Of course Tristan, you know you can talk to me about anything. Tell me what has happened," said Lady Lena, Tristan's mother.
"It is the Raiders," said Tristan. "My Lieutenant who commands the outpost at the pass informs me that they are amassing an army."
"Is it...large?" asked Lena, slowly.
"Yes, they are currently 20,000 and they are still gathering. Unfortunately we don't have an army at our disposal anymore, as His Majesty's Army was sent away and it would take them at least a month to arrive even if we could get into contact with them," said Tristan, sighing in aggravation.
"My Lord," I said.
Tristan looked up, distraughtly. His white linen shirt was slightly askew. His black leather doublet looked ordinary enough, and his brown woollen trousers were tucked into knee high black leather boots. My gaze returned to his face, the expression he wore was of deep concern and even hopelessness.
"You say their camp is just beyond the pass?" I asked, pausing.
"Don't listen to her my Lord Tristan, she is but a slave, she intends to poison your mind with lies," said the Lieutenant, glaring at me.
Tristan looked completely unfazed. "My house, my rules. Speak Gena," said Tristan, returning to his soft tone. The Lieutenant looked revolted and glowered at me the whole time I spoke.
I continued as instructed, "If it's just beyond the pass, then their camp might be in the path of an avalanche. If there is enough snow on the mountains we could cause an avalanche and destroy them before they even have a chance to destroy us," I said.
Tristan smiled, hopefully. "Is it any good Lieutenant?" he asked.
The Lieutenant frowned. "Winter was very mild this year, and though it's early spring there isn't enough snow on the mountains to do any real damage," he said.
Silence once again hung over the small assembly. 
"Just do what you need to do Tristan," said Lady Lena, quietly.
"I should go scout it out myself, see if there is anything the landscape and positioning can tell me," said Tristan.
"Yes, you are your father's son," said Lady Lena, smiling.
Tristan turned to Avan who was still in the room, as he had not been dismissed.
"Avan, inform Perton that I intend to leave tomorrow at dawn, make sure my horse is ready by then, well fed and provisioned for a long day's journey. And Avan what was said in this room never happened until I say otherwise." said Tristan.
"Yes my Lord," replied Avan and he scurried from the room.
"As for the rest of us, I think it is time for bed," said Tristan.
I had been so enthralled in the conversation, that I hadn't even noticed that the sun had set. Everyone began to leave to their bedrooms and board. But Tristan, instead of leaving for his room, took me by the hand.
"Gena, how is your back?" he asked, tenderly.
I smiled. "My back is still sore, but really I've never felt better," I said.
"I'm glad to hear, you should be going now though, it has long been dark." After he had finished speaking he lifted my left hand up to his lips and kissed it. Without another word he turned and left the sitting room. 

The next morning I was awakened at dawn. I was still a slave and even in a time of panic I was obligated to do my work.
I was stiff, and when I moved pain shot through my back like a blade. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and left to the stables to carry out my work. There, as I had secretly hoped, I met Tristan. He had just mounted his horse when I came within sight of him. I waved slightly. In answer he spurred his horse toward me.
"You are still hurt, you should not be working. Go to my mother, she needs encouragement and female companionship," said Tristan.
"But my Lord Tristan it would be highly improper," I protested. He smiled at the use of his name.
"Not if I say so, don't worry she is a very kind woman," he said and smiling compassionately with a mischievous tinge he spurred his horse into a gallop, and passed out through the gates.

I did as Tristan had told me. I was soon in the company of Lady Lena—who is a very capable woman I might add. Though it was my job to encourage her she was actually the one encouraging me. I had become such a broken person, and though I know I will never be able to properly portray it in this record, I am terrified of the Raiders. 
I will not record this part of my story, as I'm afraid you would become extremely bored with our talk. It is enough for you to know that Lady Lena encouraged me, and even hinted slightly that Tristan was a kind and compassionate man, just like his father. Of course, I knew that myself at the time, and I recognised the deeper meaning, but I refused to believe it. I couldn't see how anyone could love me, a slave.
We passed the time away with small talk, mostly. Lena treated me like an equal which is a luxury I was unaccustomed to. It scared, and surprised, me.

When evening fell Tristan returned. I went outside to meet him. He looked paler than usual and very weary from the day's excursion. He would not meet my gaze and entered the Manor without even looking at me. I wanted to follow him, but something held me back. I retired to my bed early that night.