Chapter V

The next day was filled with brainstorming. And despite the current dangers and anxiety; Tristan took the opportunity to spoil me. I ended up wearing a white blouse with a full navy blue skirt and supple brown leather boots, due to his insistence. As his mother, Lady Lena, had never had a daughter of her own she took a lot of time to do my hair, even though she could have easily asked any of the female servants to do it instead.

When it was dusk, a plan had formed. We will have the low ground, a disadvantage, but if we stand far off as they descend into the plains to attack we can cause a rockfall and take out a small portion of their army. There is a second part to the plan which will be done as they are travelling through the pass. Avalanches, though there is not enough snow to do much we can take out a fair amount of Raiders in the pass before the real fight begins.
Tristan was impressed when I informed him of my idea. Rather than thinking of rockfalls and avalanches he had thought of how one could best use the weather to our advantage. The Raiders were used to freezing cold conditions. We, in the plains, were used to extreme heat where there's risk of heatstroke. If one can but tempt them to attack in the heat of the day their is a possibility that we might overcome them.

The next morning after a full breakfast Tristan asked me if he might teach me a couple defensive tactics, in case they are overcome. I agreed, obviously. I myself have grown particularly fond of Tristan, and who knows? We might marry someday if it is the gods' will.
Anyways, we went down to one of the courtyards. Before we began he showed me my main arteries, the places I should protect and not expose. Then we began. He gave me a wooden sword and showed me a few simple strikes. Not to boast, but they were easy.
"You're a natural," said Tristan, admiringly as I countered one of his slices.
"Really? Show me something else," I replied.
"Of course, Gena dear," said Tristan, cracking a smile.
"You're bad!" I exclaimed aiming a gentle stroke at his leg.
"But you love me for it, don't you Gena?" he asked, all of a sudden serious. I smiled, every time he said my name I felt happy and content.
"Yes Tristan, I love you..." I said.
He smiled. "Then perhaps you might...marry...never mind," he said, hastily looking away. His words penetrated very deep.
"Marry you?" I asked, surprised.
"I know it's way too early to even consider it," he said, trying to recover himself.
"What? No, Tristan...I love you," I replied, and kissed him on the cheek.
He looked stunned, and didn't speak for a moment or two. Once he regained his thoughts he pulled out a small delicate ring from a pocket.
"You better have this," he said. I took the ring from him, it is small and silver with three small white diamonds.
"It's beautiful!" I threw my arms around him in a quick hug. "Do I have to put it on myself?" I asked.
"No," he replied, smiling. He took the the ring from me and gently slipped it on the fourth finger of my left hand.

We talked about many things while he taught me strokes and how to guard myself. In that moment I was the happiest I had ever been.

Days passed slowly and the traps were laid. In that week of time I had become considerably good with the sword. Tristan kept informing me it was in my blood. I took the praise, though I sincerely hope I didn't take it vainly. Tristan had informed the villages of the imminent danger. Most of the villagers have been sent away to safer lands, but the ones who couldn't, for various reasons, are staying in the Manor with us. In all, the villagers here add up to only fifteen.
Somehow amidst all the turmoil I have managed to bug Tristan into letting me go with him into battle. At least last time I tried he told me it was an idiotic idea, but I could if I thought it was best.

...oOo...

And now it is dusk, my candle is near its end and I am to ride into battle with my Lord Tristan tomorrow! Hoping for the best, and praying that our trap works!